when can i put these chicks together???

kacappi

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
I have a dozen chicks that are now turning 3 weeks old that i purchased from tractor supply. We have recently moved to the country and had already built a coop and run. I cannot tell you how much i am enjoying my time taking care of and interacting with these chicks. Well today i was in the local feed store and there they were...RIR and another bin of black chicks...i couldnt help myself i got 3 of each. I realize im addicted lol. Now when can i put these chicks all together? Or do i have to build another coop? And let me just say...thank god for this site as a newby this has been a lifesavor!!!

The sooner, the better. I'd keep them separate for 24 hours to be sure they are eating and drinking, and able to run around well. Then, I'd introduce them. You may want to keep a wire divider in the brooder at first, being sure that there is the right temp for each age group on their respective sides. Then, do supervised play dates, and remove the wire.

Thanks i like the divider idea i have plenty of room to do it. 9 of my other chicks have grown quite big, leghorns i think, but they are nice. 3 are smaller with longer wings they fly around and seem a bit more aggressive so yes all visits will be supervised.

Back
Top Bottom