When can i start feeding scratch?

mine started with scratch at 5 weeks
wink.png

Just make shure you have grit in the coop

~Bryan

I think as long as they have grit or are free rannging some they can have it. I bought mine some wild bird food 2 weeks ago and they have been fine. They are 8 weeks old now. I sprinkle a little grit with the scratch to be safe.

I hope you are not thinking this is a food because it is not. Scratch is something ones throws at chickens to keep them busy like a treat. It is used at most once a day for it is very fattening. Mostly used in winter not in summer unless you are using it to help call chickens in to catch them.

Quote:
I disagree. It is food. It is just not a balanced food for OPTIMAL growth. You can feed it anytime really but by doing so your flock wil not be able to eat as much of the expensive balanced ration you buy to get optimal growth. Look at the lables of regelar feed and scratch. Basic ingredients are the same. Corn , bean meal etc. That said I agree it should not be the only food but it is A food.

Quote:
I disagree. It is food. It is just not a balanced food for OPTIMAL growth. You can feed it anytime really but by doing so your flock wil not be able to eat as much of the expensive balanced ration you buy to get optimal growth. Look at the lables of regelar feed and scratch. Basic ingredients are the same. Corn , bean meal etc. That said I agree it should not be the only food but it is A food.

I agree, mine do get it a couple times a day, in fact it must not be good for them, because they will leave thier regular food and come running to get the scratch, so its like a kid eating cake or icecream, all the GOOD stuff is not in it, but a little a couple times a day wont be bad, just dont let them fill up on it. My freeranging momma hens have her little ones eating it when they are just a couple days old, so it must not be stunting thier growth since they are bigger than same chicks(hatched same time) that have been in brooder the whole time with 20% chick started 24/7.

I dint start my chickens on scratch till I switch to layer.
When I switch from a 20% pro. Grower to a 20% pro. Layer is when I start giveing a 16% pro. all grain pigeon feed with corn as a scratch grain....

Chris

Back
Top Bottom