When can my chicks be moved outside to the coop?

pseudoyams

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
Hey all!

My chicks are just about 7wks old now. Im wondering when would it be alright to start to move them outsideto the their coop. Right now I have them in my heated garage and I started to slowly turn the heat down to get them acclimated more easily. I live in WI so its been getting colder here now - 30s during the days and 20s overnight. Right now I have the garage at 58F and everyday I drop the temp a degree or two. They also have a 150w lamp on them. So, is it about time to send them outside to their coop? How would you make the move? Decrease the temp in the garage until its in the 40s then move them out? Ill likely be getting a couple ceramic heat lamps for them this winter since they are gonna be younger chicks and in the cold. I have 5 Ameraucanas, 5 Black Stars and 5 Rhode Island Reds, if it matters.

Id appreciate any advice!

Thanks!
-Rob

If there are no other chickens in the coop you could take them now, but I'd continue to help them get read for the cold. Once you have it down to where it will be in the coop, go for it.

I just moved my 10 silkie chicks to the outside "grow up coop" on Sunday they are 5 weeks old. They have a 2 small coops (each one is 2ft x 4ft) complete with a light and a small fenced run that is 10ft x 10ft. I was 30F here this morning and everyone is just fine. I think as long as they have a way to be warm at night they should be fine.

If your coop is air tight move them now...keep the heat lamp on
and make sure there is alot of shavings or hay on the floor. Go
out with them and stay for a little while and make sure the heat
lamp is set just right and that there is no way that anything can
get to them.

Back
Top Bottom