When did your cockerel mature?

Here he is - name is Milo :). He has molted his lovely tail feathers though.

My blue australorp mix is around 18 weeks. He has never crowed and as far as I can tell, shows no interest in the ladies.
The girls are all 18.5 weeks. 4 out of the 6 have been squatting for me for about a week but not for him.

I just think he's slow maturing, his voice only started changing a week ago.
The girls changed early (8 week) but they are red sex links.

Here he is - name is Milo
smile.png
. He has molted his lovely tail feathers though.

Beautiful cockerel!

My blue australorp mix is around 18 weeks. He has never crowed and as far as I can tell, shows no interest in the ladies.
The girls are all 18.5 weeks. 4 out of the 6 have been squatting for me for about a week but not for him.

I just think he's slow maturing, his voice only started changing a week ago.
The girls changed early (8 week) but they are red sex links.

It seems that Australorp cockerels are a bit slower to mature.... i am still waiting for mine to crow and mate! Oh well only time will tell

Here he is - name is Milo
smile.png
. He has molted his lovely tail feathers though.

Looking at that second photo I would suggest that moulting may not be the reason for the loss of his tail feathers. That pullet next to him seems to be showing an unhealthy interest in his gorgeous iridescent rear plumage.... perhaps she is jealous!
wink.png

Well the other day my Dad said there was a big commotion in the coop and then all of a sudden an almighty crow was let out so I'm guessing he was trying to mate the hens and then crowed. It sounds like I could have some fertile eggs on my hands soon!

My cockerel is now mature. He is not yet covering the older hens as he is still a bit scared of em.... i would be too haha.

Here is a pic i took today. I accidentally dropped the egg but the bullseye stayed in tact!

My welsummers started mating and crowing right at six and a half months. I think they could have started earlier, but they are too scared of my silkie rooster!

My welsummers started mating and crowing right at six and a half months. I think they could have started earlier, but they are too scared of my silkie rooster!

Yes that is often the case... if there is a rooster already in the flock then cockerels usually hold back. How many hens do you have?

Back
Top Bottom