When do chickens start laying eggs?

Each one are different even among the same breed. I got 4 New Hamps that 2 started laying @18 wks the other ones didn't follow laying until almost a month later (22 wks). Now my leghorns started before they're even 16 wks whereas my speckled Sussex is 6 months old but nothing yet.

Thanks!! I was hoping for them to all start around the same time. I am just so excited to start getting eggs!!!

Who doesn't? It's our 2nd year of chicken keeping yet we're still excited getting eggs everyday, when we're home, we check every few hours
1f61d.png
like getting presents!!!

I have 27 chickens, all different varieties.they are about 27 weeks old. I am getting about 16 eggs a day. Do you think they have all started laying? It seems like I should be getting more eggs.

I have 27 chickens, all different varieties.they are about 27 weeks old. I am getting about 16 eggs a day. Do you think they have all started laying? It seems like I should be getting more eggs.

They should be all laying by now but it depends on the type of chickens you have and the conditions of housing, pecking order, food and water & nesting boxes some will lay later some earlier than usual.

All my 24 wk olds are all laying now, but im still waiting for some batch of 20 wk olds to lay, some had started @16 wks.
1f413.png

We have 2 different age brackets 16wk and 13 wk. 15 older ones are pullets but none lay yet, 4 different breeds. Younger is 4 and 3 different breeds.
Have no clue when they will lay other than I'm impatiently waiting.

Even with the oppressive heat of the desert, our 9 EE'ers are all coming online while the 30 1-3 years olds are progressing thru various stages of molt. Still averaging about 16 carton worthy large to jumbos and 6 a day from the new girls. It took 6 of their eggs to equal 1 cup but getting bigger every day. Small but perfect in every way.

[/IMG]
Except for this double yolk torpedo.
who lays the jumbo eggs? That's some amazing numbers!! That's what I'm looking to get most days-hopefully. 19/20 chickens are pullets.

who lays the jumbo eggs? That's some amazing numbers!! That's what I'm looking to get most days-hopefully. 19/20 chickens are pullets.

It is hard to tell. In the pen of 14 Black Sex links, 2 Production Reds, 1 Amberlink, a Silverlaced wyandotte and an EE, the EE is tge only one we are sure isn't.
1f60b.png

In the truly mixed flock pen, the Barred Rocks lay huge eggs with the Leghorns running a close second. Both lay in the ex-large to jumbo on a regular basis.
6 EEs are just getting going so are still kind of small but regular now.

It is hard to tell. In the pen of 14 Black Sex links, 2 Production Reds, 1 Amberlink, a Silverlaced wyandotte and an EE, the EE is tge only one we are sure isn't.
1f60b.png

In the truly mixed flock pen, the Barred Rocks lay huge eggs with the Leghorns running a close second. Both lay in the ex-large to jumbo on a regular basis.
6 EEs are just getting going so are still kind of small but regular now.
thanks;) we have mixed as well (BA6 GC5 BO4 EE3 GLW1) can't wait for eggs and to variety of colors lol.

thanks;) we have mixed as well (BA6 GC5 BO4 EE3 GLW1) can't wait for eggs and to variety of colors lol.

The BSLs thru their first season of laying have been very consistant, even prolific and the eggs have been very nice. They make up 2/3 of our origional pen. I kept a log and thru the winter we averaged 17+ eggs a day from a pen of 22 layers, 16 of which are BSLs.

Back
Top Bottom