When do Jersey Giants start to lay eggs

My Jersey Giants from Cackle started laying at 5 months of age. They are now four years old and are still laying.

I am so very excited about having the Black Jersey Giants they will arrive on the 15th of this month i have got everything ready in advance for my babies my wife is already thinking of names for them LOL

I am so very excited about having the Black Jersey Giants they will arrive on the 15th of this month i have got everything ready in advance for my babies my wife is already thinking of names for them LOL
clap.gif

I just placed a order with Cackle Hatchery for 25 Black Jersey Giant pullets & 3 roosters & i am very excited about having them in my flock i know that are slower to mature but i don't mind because when they do they [from what i have read & researched ] they will be very good layer Cackle estimates from 180-260 eggs per hen a year .Boy i can't hardly wait till i get my order.

And they are a very broody breed, all 6 of mine have already hatched chicks or are broody right now.. Love them and plan to pick up some more Friday

I know this is an old post and want to add a question. My jg are 7 months old and one has been laying for a month and her sister just layed her first egg today. But they are both laying tiny eggs. When do the eggs get to be large?

I know this is an old post and want to add a question. My jg are 7 months old and one has been laying for a month and her sister just layed her first egg today. But they are both laying tiny eggs. When do the eggs get to be large?

give them a couple months and the eggs will start to get larger.. All chickens lay tiny eggs a first

Black Jersey Giants don't reach full maturity till 18 months old, so I'm curious when their eggs reach that "extra large" size. I have Silver laced Wyandotte's, Welsummer's, Black Jersey Giant's & Easter Egger's. I have some well breed French Black Copper Marans pullets being raised till their old enough to sex-out.

My BJG did very good laying untill it got warmer & then they all stopped all at once so I sold all of them &ordered me those Light Brahma which can lay in the hotter months .Don't take me wrong & i am not telling any one to sell thier BJG & another thing the local market pays top dollar for young pullets for the Light Brahma's so i am giving them a whirl & if these don't suit me i will find another breed that will .& the answer to the main question my first started laying about 6-7 months old

I hate to do this, but I have 7 Jersey Giants and my co worker has the rest of the hatch (20), they all started laying at six months and are giving me one eggs a day. She gets between 17-20 eggs a day.
I have 6 Black Jersey Giants and 5 splash Jersey Giants. they are 7 monthd old. I was shocked to see one of the blacks lay an egg right in front of me as I was collecting eggs. I was told that they were full grown at 3 yrs years old and would mate. I'm finding out different. The roo's are all doing their thing and now the ladies are starting to lay.! any ideas if they'd be fertile as they are laid now.?

I purchased 12 hens and 3 roos from Meyer Hatchery (love them :)) and they are growing beautifully! Not laying yet but from all the information I was told they should lay any where from 5-9 months! Fingers crossed yours start soo and mine too! Good Luck! :) Double D Chicks and Stuff Homestead

Back
Top Bottom