When does Rhode island reds fill out

woodenfarm

Songster
Mar 28, 2017
TN
I have two Rhode island reds just wondering when they will start getting fluffy all our other breeds are very fluffy these ones still have not changed much but are squatting when touching them
They are five months old

20170817_100615.jpg
IMG_20170817_103055_909.jpg

i have 7 rhode island reds they are about 6 months old yes mine squat when they get there back rubbed :lau mine are about that big dont know if they get fuffyer but im pretty sure they get bigger :D

my husband is like do we need to buy a rooster because all your girls down there are in heat :lau We have 10 ladies no roosters and 8 out of ten hens will squat even before you touch them
Gets me more chickens I should of said yes!

My RIR is not fluffy and she is about a year and a half. There was a dog attack and her tail feathers have not grown back in yet but here's a picture of her. Just her rump is fluffy and I think she didn't get fluffy back there until almost a year old
20170822_220450.jpg

Oh I say it was horrible.

How old are they when they start to lay? Mine are 5 months
Cry baby has been squatting for a week or two. The other red has no name and not squatting but likes to stay perched higher then the flock and will perch on anything like the water holder ect

My RIR was the first to lay an egg in my flock. They were all born first week of June last year and she laid her egg on Oct 25.. So about 6 months. She was squatting for a couple of weeks. And the week leading up to the egg she spent alot of time in the nesting box digging around and making a nest... then she laid it in the run haha!

Back
Top Bottom