When is best time to collect duck eggs to incubate?

Violanna

Songster
Nov 25, 2022
DFW Texas
One of my 3 females has been laying for about 6-8 weeks now. My young males started breeding her about 4 weeks ago. They are now mating the other two as well who have not started laying yet but are due to start any time now. The oldest girl was hatched Valentines Day, the two younger were hatched St.Patrick’s Day. The males were hatched March 29th.

I’m wondering based on this mix of ages when my combo of ducks will be most fertile for a viable clutch to hatch? I have tried to incubate a couple eggs a week apart 2 weeks ago, just to try it out since I already have chicken eggs going. Both were definitely fertilized and grew a bit, but I never had veins form. I tossed them after no veins by day 13. I would love to hatch a few ducks but I’m worried my ducks are so young still that their eggs just are quite there yet.

One of my 3 females has been laying for about 6-8 weeks now. My young males started breeding her about 4 weeks ago. They are now mating the other two as well who have not started laying yet but are due to start any time now. The oldest girl was hatched Valentines Day, the two younger were hatched St.Patrick’s Day. The males were hatched March 29th.

I’m wondering based on this mix of ages when my combo of ducks will be most fertile for a viable clutch to hatch? I have tried to incubate a couple eggs a week apart 2 weeks ago, just to try it out since I already have chicken eggs going. Both were definitely fertilized and grew a bit, but I never had veins form. I tossed them after no veins by day 13. I would love to hatch a few ducks but I’m worried my ducks are so young still that their eggs just are quite there yet.
It is usually advised to wait until the eggs get bigger. Duck eggs seem to start out small and get bigger and bigger over time. Larger eggs result in larger heavier ducklings. Personally, I would wait until spring rather than having ducklings in the middle of winter. But, I am not sure if your location.

It is usually advised to wait until the eggs get bigger. Duck eggs seem to start out small and get bigger and bigger over time. Larger eggs result in larger heavier ducklings. Personally, I would wait until spring rather than having ducklings in the middle of winter. But, I am not sure if your location.
I’m north Texas. We do get cold but not for long. I also have a heat pad set up in my duck coop for winter. My eggs are already extra large. I’m more worried about the boys only being 5 months. Wondering if their swimmers just aren’t very strong yet.

I’m north Texas. We do get cold but not for long. I also have a heat pad set up in my duck coop for winter. My eggs are already extra large. I’m more worried about the boys only being 5 months. Wondering if their swimmers just aren’t very strong yet.
It’s possible. I remember reading something about drake fertility not reaching peak until they are a little older.

Back
Top Bottom