When should I see development in my Guinea Eggs?

Excellent! Good luck with them. We an keep each other updated. You think you got the wrong colors? How could you tell? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Excellent! Good luck with them. We an keep each other updated. You think you got the wrong colors? How could you tell? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Well what I bought was supposed to be assorted pied colors. The note that the seller included in the box however indicated that they sent a total assortment of things like pinto, buff dundotte, etc etc. It's not like they sent me all pearl, but what I bought was supposed to be blue pied, lavender pied, and royal purple pied, and that's really what I wanted. Still haven't heard back from them. The eggs arrived all intact and the shipping was great so I wouldn't start a dispute over it or anything, I just want to know what I'm hatching :/

I guess you'll just have to wait and hope they gave you the colours you wanted, if not put an ad up when they hatch for a swap of the colours you want. Your properly better off ordering keets from a hatchery so you know exactly what your getting.

I guess you'll just have to wait and hope they gave you the colours you wanted, if not put an ad up when they hatch for a swap of the colours you want. Your properly better off ordering keets from a hatchery so you know exactly what your getting.

Unfortunately you can't really find hatcheries that sell pied keets in specific colors. I don't want pearl pied, which is what hatcheries sell, which is why I was excited to get these eggs.

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for the eggs? In Australia eggs go for $20-$100 per dozen depending on the colours. We have very limited colours available, pearl, lavender, cinnamon,silver and there are a samll majority of people who have developed white and other rare colours, but they are expensive, $1500 for a white guinea. We dont really have hatchies like the US where there is a breed list and you pick what you want, I've only seen hatcheries that hatch meat and layers chooks.

If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for the eggs? In Australia eggs go for $20-$100 per dozen depending on the colours. We have very limited colours available, pearl, lavender, cinnamon,silver and there are a samll majority of people who have developed white and other rare colours, but they are expensive, $1500 for a white guinea. We dont really have hatchies like the US where there is a breed list and you pick what you want, I've only seen hatcheries that hatch meat and layers chooks.

$40 for a dozen. They're less expensive here than Australia, it seems! White guineas are actually fairly common here and inexpensive because people prefer the other colors over a white one.

Yeah its amazing to think whats rare in one country is so cheap in another. Do you have red eyed varieties? I have red eye cinnamon and silver and they are beautiful bird's but dont have very good eye sight so I keep in a completely netted yard with a huge shed to sleep in, with low perches though.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I thought it would be better to ask my question here since it is the same as the OP's question. As of last night I was in day 6 of incubating 30 guinea eggs and I really couldn't see any difinitive developement in the ones I candled. I'm using the same flashlight (a really bright LED) that I use for my chicken eggs and it does a pretty good job of lighting up the egg. I can see the yolk and an air cell at one end but nothing else significant. I got my eggs from a local poultry farm and the eggs were all 5 days or less old and they went in the incubator after sitting still for a few hours after I got home with them. I'm using the same exact set up as I have for two very successful chicken egg hatches. Should I wait a few more days or take a chance and open one or two up to see if there is any activity that I'm not seeing through the shell? She gave me 30 for the price of 24 so I wouldn't mind loosing an egg or two to know for sure something was happening. I just hate to wait 28 days to find out I'm working with duds. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but I thought it would be better to ask my question here since it is the same as the OP's question. As of last night I was in day 6 of incubating 30 guinea eggs and I really couldn't see any definitive development in the ones I candled. I'm using the same flashlight (a really bright LED) that I use for my chicken eggs and it does a pretty good job of lighting up the egg. I can see the yolk and an air cell at one end but nothing else significant. I got my eggs from a local poultry farm and the eggs were all 5 days or less old and they went in the incubator after sitting still for a few hours after I got home with them. I'm using the same exact set up as I have for two very successful chicken egg hatches. Should I wait a few more days or take a chance and open one or two up to see if there is any activity that I'm not seeing through the shell? She gave me 30 for the price of 24 so I wouldn't mind loosing an egg or two to know for sure something was happening. I just hate to wait 28 days to find out I'm working with duds. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie

You are on day 6 of an egg that takes 26 to 28 days to hatch. Don't expect to see the same amount of development that you would see on day 6 of an egg that takes 21 days to hatch.

Guinea eggs are also thicker shelled than chicken eggs and more difficult to see into.

I don't bother candling until day 24 or 25 when I move the eggs to the hatcher. Have patience.

You are on day 6 of an egg that takes 26 to 28 days to hatch. Don't expect to see the same amount of development that you would see on day 6 of an egg that takes 21 days to hatch.

Guinea eggs are also thicker shelled than chicken eggs and more difficult to see into.

I don't bother candling until day 24 or 25 when I move the eggs to the hatcher. Have patience.

Thanks, I needed to hear that! But shouldn't I see some darkening at some point even though I won't see the same detail as a chicken egg?

Back
Top Bottom