When should I see development in my Guinea Eggs?

Thanks, I needed to hear that! But shouldn't I see some darkening at some point even though I won't see the same detail as a chicken egg?

If you have a strong enough light you will be able to see veins around 2 weeks. Since I don't candle until lockdown, I can't tell you what you should see before then. At lockdown you will clearly distinguish the air cell, dark area of the body and depending on how far along they are you might even see internal pips. At 6 days there are people who claim they can see veins but they have to be using a very bright light to candle with.

You should be able to see a bit more by day 10, but I don't discard any before 2 weeks or even 3. The spots can distort and block the light and you can't be certain. I would be patient for at least five more days before cracking or discarding any.

You should be able to see a bit more by day 10, but I don't discard any before 2 weeks or even 3. The spots can distort and block the light and you can't be certain. I would be patient for at least five more days before cracking or discarding any.

Sorry for the false alarm. I'm seeing development in some eggs (checked a few) tonight (day 8) so I'll leave them be until like day 21 to see what I can see then. I should be able to determine then if they're developing or not so I can discard any clear ones.

Thanks for the input!

Charlie

I checked my eggs that are due on the 23rd yesterday and could see good veins, movement, embryo, etc. So, they are on day 10. I also checked the ones due on the 26th and the different in development was pretty big. So I think tomorrow you will have a good idea of which are good or not. But of course if you wait until day 14 or even 21 like you said you will definitely be able to tell. Just keep a nose out for any smells :)

I just put some guinea eggs under two broody hens. Its now day seven. I candled and could see veins in only 5 out of 13 eggs. The others were totally clear, just yolk, no veins.

Should I assume the other 8 are duds, or give them more time? Is it possible they could still develop, or no?

Last edited:
I just put some guinea eggs under two broody hens. Its now day seven. I candled and could see veins in only 5 out of 13 eggs. The others were totally clear, just yolk, no veins.

Should I assume the other 8 are duds, or give them more time? Is it possible they could still develop, or no?

Clear at 7 days mean they aren't going to develop. Toss them.

You are on day 6 of an egg that takes 26 to 28 days to hatch.  Don't expect to see the same amount of development that you would see on day 6 of an egg that takes 21 days to hatch.

Guinea eggs are also thicker shelled than chicken eggs and more difficult to see into.

I don't bother candling until day 24 or 25 when I move the eggs to the hatcher.  Have patience.

This year was the first time I hatched or candled anything. Day 8. I saw nothing to make me think they would hatch. My cousin told me they were bad. I thought so too but let them be because I had no other eggs. 19 days later ALL but 1 of my eggs hatched so...If its your first time candling guinea eggs, dont trust yourself.

Back
Top Bottom