When to Cull?

PlantzDadz

Chirping
Mar 13, 2022
Northern Nevada
I know it's largely a personal choice, but I'm trying to decide if/when I should cull two sick hens. I'm pretty sure they have Marek's, but without being certain on what it is, I'm having a hard time deciding what's best.

About 3 weeks ago my (then) 18+- week Eater Egger suddenly came down with leg paralysis. She can't walk properly but has been eating and drinking just fine. For the most part she is self sufficient and lives her daily life relatively fine. She just cant walk on her toes and hobbles around. She's separated from the flock in her own coop and run. I give her treats and occasional vitamins or electrolytes.
(I wrote a very long post about her situation previously.)

Another hen (same age/ barred rock) is now showing the exact same symptoms. Hers started out as a limp 2 days ago that today turned into leg paralysis. She's now with the other hen in the separate coop.

It's been over 3 weeks and the EE is not getting any better, but also not getting any worse. I have a feeling the barred rock is on the same path.

Should I just cull both of them or wait it out? Neither of them seems to be in pain or depression. I'm not 100% certain is Marek's but it seems the most likely. Any advise?

It does sound like your hens may have Marek's.
See this informative article for info on Marek's.
The Great Big Giant Marek's Disease FAQ

The Great Big Giant Marek's Disease FAQ "Marek’s disease is one of the most ubiquitous avian infections; it is identified in chicken flocks worldwide." - Marek’s Disease in Poultry by Jon Dunn. Every flock, except those maintained under strict pathogen-free environments, has the potential to be...

If they are not getting any worse, and they don't seem to be in pain, I would wait it out for now. Can you please post photos of both hens?

@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @EggSighted4Life

It does sound like your hens may have Marek's.
See this informative article for info on Marek's.

The Great Big Giant Marek's Disease FAQ "Marek’s disease is one of the most ubiquitous avian infections; it is identified in chicken flocks worldwide." - Marek’s Disease in Poultry by Jon Dunn. Every flock, except those maintained under strict pathogen-free environments, has the potential to be...

If they are not getting any worse, and they don't seem to be in pain, I would wait it out for now. Can you please post photos of both hens?

@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @EggSighted4Life
Thank you.
Here’s some photos of them. They look and act normal, besides the paralysis. It’s hot here today so they are panting a bit but drinking plenty of water and are in the shade.

Attachments

• 14323F09-204B-4141-A27E-B5950AF42C0C.jpeg
    14323F09-204B-4141-A27E-B5950AF42C0C.jpeg
    868.5 KB · Views: 4
  • E23E1BFE-69E8-4399-949E-840A9B155365.jpeg
    E23E1BFE-69E8-4399-949E-840A9B155365.jpeg
    969 KB · Views: 4
  • 61280B06-4826-41D9-A445-5C78344DB702.jpeg
    61280B06-4826-41D9-A445-5C78344DB702.jpeg
    892.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 28ECC8BB-58BF-4B71-B116-6D3EE9F014F2.jpeg
    28ECC8BB-58BF-4B71-B116-6D3EE9F014F2.jpeg
    902.2 KB · Views: 4
I do think your hens have Marek's. I have had mine survive like that for a week or so then suddenly go down hill and be completely miserable. I cull any that show signs of Marek's, I hope that's helpful.

Thank you. That is helpful. I need all the advise I can get!

Thank you for the response.

Should I just cull both of them or wait it out? Neither of them seems to be in pain or depression. I'm not 100% certain is Marek's but it seems the most likely. Any advise?
Sounds like it could be Marek's.. I cull immediately now.. after my first experience that was just like your current description, essentially.

Consider culling and sending in for necropsy to verify possible condition.. here is a link to contact Nevada department of agriculture animal disease laboratory..

https://agri.nv.gov/Animals/Animal_Disease/Animal_Disease_Home/

Some birds do survive and recover... once they've been non ambulatory for 3 weeks they won't easily regain muscle control without some physical therapy.. If you don't wanna send both.. maybe send the one that been down for a while.. while you decide what to do with your second patient.

Sorry you face this!

ETA:
Animal Diagnostic Laboratory
Nevada State Department of Agriculture
4780 East Idaho Street
Elko, NV 89801-3364 US
775-738-8076
fax: 775-738-2639

Animal Diagnostic Laboratory
Nevada State Department of Agriculture
405 South 21st Street
Sparks, NV 89431 US
775-688-1182 ext 232
fax: 775-353-3600

Marek's is always the first thing we suspect when we have a chicken with leg paralysis. But a much more common cause during this time of year, and especially with the intense heat many are suffering around the world at present, is heat sickness. It causes leg weakness which can appear to be paralysis.

Give the chickens electrolytes in their water. Any suffering weakness, give a cup of water with a teaspoon of sugar with a pinch of salt and baking soda mixed in as the sole drinking water until the symptoms ease. Then let them drink the electrolyte water.

Back
Top Bottom