When to leg band?

sondaddyfarm

In the Brooder
May 20, 2018
I'm planning on using numbered bandetts on my hens and roosters because my girlfriend and I are a little OCD on record keeping sometimes and also we have a few that look alike so. We are waiting to put on the adult size instead of changing them as they grow though. My question is at what age roughly is it OK. Also I've been reading all kinds of things on sizes but have a mixed flock and would prefer not to but like 6 different sizes I'm kinda hoping to get away with 3. Is that a thing? My flock has:
Couple different Wyandottes
Cochin
Cream leg bar
Wulsumer
White leg horn
Silkie
Couple different Orphingtons
Light and dark Brahmas
Barred rock
Ayam
Rode island red
Rode island/Cochin cross
Delaware
Buckeye
Mille de fleur
And a mystery rooster that we don' t the breed of (he was "heater pack" for a small shipment)

In all we have 100 chickens with a mix of pullets and roosters and it's slightly overwhelming figuring out the whole leg band thing. Lol any insight would be helpful.

Thank you! We were aiming for a diverse flock and I think we achieed i. Lol. While I'm thinking of it to they range in age fromroughly about a week old to about a month and a half old.

We are waiting to put on the adult size instead of changing them as they grow though. My question is at what age roughly is it OK.
We start at six weeks. Then change them regularly. It sounds like a chore but it is not. We inspect for mite/parasites and foot infections anyway. Upon regular inspections, bands are replaced with additional codes. Part of flock management. We use multi color codes for age, health and purpose such as breakfast eggs/breeders and so on. We don't wait for an outbreak to address, prevention of an outbreak is a better plan. Leg bands are part of that prevention plan.
DSCN6581 copy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom