When to move chicks to coop

legos2lions

Hatching
Feb 3, 2015
Hi all,

I'm in San Diego about a mile from the beach. I haven't had chickens since high school so I'm a little rusty. Currently our chicks are about three weeks old and I'm wondering at what point can we move them into their coop. Its already in the 70s here and is dropping down to 55 at night. They haven't had an external heat source for nearly two weeks because the temperatures are so moderate. I know we're a couple weeks out but I'm trying to get an idea of when we should be able to move them. I've heard everything from one to two months. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I move mine outside as soon as they're fully feathered. I have a group of six week olds that are spending their second night outside full time. However, I wean them off of heat sources first. That's important. If you don't wean them off they might not survive it. Imagine having a jacket all winter with warm areas then suddenly no jacket, no heater, and no way to get warm.

With temps in the 50s at night, make sure the coop is draft free when you do move them out. Personally I think it would be fine to let them out in the daytime and build up immunities early. Just watch their behavior. The chicks will show you when they are cold.

Welcome I also live in San Diego (North County) When my chicks feather out (like orumpoultry says) and they have been gradually reduced in temperature then I put a light in the coop until they ignore it. Let me know if one of your Silkies go broodie and I give you a couple of fertile eggs as they are fun to watch raise chicks since they are such good mothers. Here is Snowball with a Purebred Black Copper Marans chick.

Back
Top Bottom