Moving chicks into coop

DogWalker

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 11, 2018
Hello, we are planning on moving our chicks (2 will be 8 weeks, 2 seven weeks) into our small coop adjacent to our seperate larger coop and run (which houses 4 mature hens), using "see but don't touch" for a week or two. We are taking them outside for a time each day to acclimatize them to the outside world. Do you recommend keeping the chicks closed inside the coop for a time before letting them out, so they know that is home? It has become hot fast here in the Pacific NW and I am worried about closing them inside a hot coop. There ia a small window.

Thanks for your advice, and a wonderful forum!

Hello, we are planning on moving our chicks (2 will be 8 weeks, 2 seven weeks) into our small coop adjacent to our seperate larger coop and run (which houses 4 mature hens), using "see but don't touch" for a week or two. We are taking them outside for a time each day to acclimatize them to the outside world. Do you recommend keeping the chicks closed inside the coop for a time before letting them out, so they know that is home? It has become hot fast here in the Pacific NW and I am worried about closing them inside a hot coop. There ia a small window.

Thanks for your advice, and a wonderful forum!
Whats the temperature and humidity like inside your small coop versus where they have been living?
What's "for a time" mean? And how long has it been going on?
I tend to lock the chicks up inside the coop with the older group (with some wire fence) for a week so they can see but not peck, and then I loosen the fence so the chicks can come and go but the older birds cant get in for another 2-3 weeks, slowly taking out the extra food and water in the chick space to encourage them to mingle.
It got hot here too, and my chicks went from my 70⁰ house to my 75⁰-80⁰ coop. They where fine, and seem to be managing the weather changes here ok. (It's spring, and the weather has menopause)

Do you recommend keeping the chicks closed inside the coop for a time before letting them out, so they know that is home? It has become hot fast here in the Pacific NW and I am worried about closing them inside a hot coop. There ia a small window.
If you're doing see but don't touch the chicks shouldn't be locked inside a coop, they need to be out so the adults can see them. You'd be better off sectioning off part of your run for the chicks to use, and if the run is predator proof just leaving them there at night, or putting them somewhere predator proofed. It also does not sound safe to lock them inside the coop if a "small window" is the only ventilation.

There is no need to home the chicks to the small coop, unless they are permanently staying in there (from the sound of it you plan on having them join the adults).

Whats the temperature and humidity like inside your small coop versus where they have been living?
What's "for a time" mean? And how long has it been going on?
I tend to lock the chicks up inside the coop with the older group (with some wire fence) for a week so they can see but not peck, and then I loosen the fence so the chicks can come and go but the older birds cant get in for another 2-3 weeks, slowly taking out the extra food and water in the chick space to encourage them to mingle.
It got hot here too, and my chicks went from my 70⁰ house to my 75⁰-80⁰ coop. They where fine, and seem to be managing the weather changes here ok. (It's spring, and the weather has menopause)
Thank you for your response! The brooder is in our garage and the temperature is not vary variable, mostly 70-75°. The coop will be much more variable with outside temps in the 50s at night, predicted daytime high 70's-low 80s coming up, so a little cooler than we thought it was going to be. Humidity with the window open should be fine. It is in evening shade. Chicks have been going outdoors for a week or so for 3-4 hours, in temps from high 50's to 80's, but they have not been in the coop, just the run. I'm thinking all is fine. We'll keep them in the small coop for a day or two to get used to it, then in an adjacent separate run for a couple of weeks before integrating. Appreciate your experience and advice!

Thank you for your response! The brooder is in our garage and the temperature is not vary variable, mostly 70-75°. The coop will be much more variable with outside temps in the 50s at night, predicted daytime high 70's-low 80s coming up, so a little cooler than we thought it was going to be. Humidity with the window open should be fine. It is in evening shade. Chicks have been going outdoors for a week or so for 3-4 hours, in temps from high 50's to 80's, but they have not been in the coop, just the run. I'm thinking all is fine. We'll keep them in the small coop for a day or two to get used to it, then in an adjacent separate run for a couple of weeks before integrating. Appreciate your experience and advice!
I think you're probably correct, and everything should be fine. The temperature range sounds reasonable. Just monitor the temp inside the coop, even with the window open. Also, if your coop smells like ammonia, you need more ventilation, just fyi.

I think you'll be good!

If you're doing see but don't touch the chicks shouldn't be locked inside a coop, they need to be out so the adults can see them. You'd be better off sectioning off part of your run for the chicks to use, and if the run is predator proof just leaving them there at night, or putting them somewhere predator proofed. It also does not sound safe to lock them inside the coop if a "small window" is the only ventilation.

There is no need to home the chicks to the small coop, unless they are permanently staying in there (from the sound of it you plan on having them join the adults).

I think you're probably correct, and everything should be fine. The temperature range sounds reasonable. Just monitor the temp inside the coop, even with the window open. Also, if your coop smells like ammonia, you need more ventilation, just fyi.

I think you'll be good!
Thank you!

OK, yes, thank you for the advice, we will be very attentive and reconsider the homing issue, it makes sense not to worry about that as it will not be their permanent home🙂

Hello again! Our chicks are out today in the small coop/run adjacent to the big run. We plan to have them out for at least two weeks so everyone can become familiar with each other through the fence. When we are ready to integrate them we will open up the fencing so they can mingle. A question however about their first night in the large coop with the mature hens. We have read to put the young ones in when it is dark and the old ones are already on the roost, but have also read this can be very dire when everyone wakes up early in the morning and discovers interlopers in the coop. We have 4 old hens and 4 chicks. Appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Hello again! Our chicks are out today in the small coop/run adjacent to the big run. We plan to have them out for at least two weeks so everyone can become familiar with each other through the fence. When we are ready to integrate them we will open up the fencing so they can mingle. A question however about their first night in the large coop with the mature hens. We have read to put the young ones in when it is dark and the old ones are already on the roost, but have also read this can be very dire when everyone wakes up early in the morning and discovers interlopers in the coop. We have 4 old hens and 4 chicks. Appreciate any advice! Thank you!
Yeah, I have heard that can result in a blood bath. If you have a dog crate, or something similar that the littler chicks can run into and hide and the bigger chickens can't get in, you should put that in there. Also, just in general, places for the chicks to hide is good.

IMG_20230518_124226.jpg

The space thats open at the bottom lets the little guys in and out. That way the bigger ones can't be too big of .... Something I probably cant say on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom