when to move outdoors

I put my first batch of chicks outside when they were 5.5 weeks old. Our daytime highs were in the 40s, then it dropped! The third night they were out there it snowed. Yep, snowed. I don't use insulation and I don't use supplemental heat. In fact, when they went out there the coop wasn't even finished, Oh, the first night I put a heat lamp out there, and the temperature kept dropping. When I'd go out to check on them (and I'm embarrassed to tell you how often that was) they weren't anywhere near the heat - they were snuggled down together next to the pop door. Next night, same story. So the third night I took the light completely out - and that night it snowed. That's springtime in the mountains of Wyoming! They did just fine.

Now I raise my chicks outdoors in the run from the start using a heating pad cave, even with temps in the teens and twenties, sideways blowing snow and 60 mph winds. They are tougher than we think and you are on the right track turning the light off, although you may want to extend the time for a few days and then turn it off. They need to be off that heat, not just because they don't need it, but because they are creatures of habit and the longer they have something the harder it is - on them and on - when you have tp to remove it.. You might be further ahead to put them in the coop and leave them in there for a few days, perhaps as long as a week, with no light. They'll hate you for a few days, but they'll get over it. They'll snuggle down in the dark and go to sleep, and after that few days (maybe as long as week) they'll know that the coop is home. If you still have difficulty, you could try putting a very dim light in the coop at night - often when the run starts to get dark they'll head for the light. But eventually they'll have to learn that they sleep and lay in the coop, and that sundown means bedtime and sunrise means up-'n-at-em.

Welcome to BYC!

Next question-when can they stay out if it rains? We haven't had any rain for 3 weeks, but it will rain eventually. (I hope). Is it ok to leave the coop door open and let them go in and out as desired? The coop is also 2 feet off the ground and 5'X5', so they can hang out underneath.

That really has to be your call...I'm not there and you are!
wink.png
You know what your predator situation is, how much protection they will have from the elements, and whether or not you get them trained to go into the coop. You absolutely must be sure that their coop is comfortable, dry, and free of drafts, though.

Here I leave my pop door to the run open 24/7, all year long. In the morning we open the people door to the run and they can go in or out as they please - but only if we're home. If we have to leave, we just head for the run with a scoop of scratch calling, "Come on, girls!" They strut right into the run. And if they've had the day to wander around, when it starts heading toward dark they wander back into the run and then into the coop from there. I have several who have to be out no matter what - they can't seem to function unless they've had their outdoor time. Some of those are the ones that I mentioned in my earlier response, a few years older and wiser. And since they don't mind being out, the younger ones eventually get up the nerve to wander around in the white stuff too!

Tank and One. I think that's One...I had quite a few of those Buff Brahmas so I named them One through Nine....at least then if I called them I had a 1 in 9 shot at being right!

Agatha, one of our original chicks from the first batch.

Even molting out of season doesn't bother them if they want to go out! I just let them decide.

decided to pull the plug on the heat lamp last night. The 5-week old girls were fine in the coop, and this morning they headed right out to their run. They seemed quite happy when i checked on them last night. They've also learned to ignore my dogs!

Next step is to make certain the dogs ignore them!
lau.gif
Well done! I kinda thought there's where you should be with the heat, but I always hesitated to tell people to just "turn it off", even when that's reasonable in my mind. For some it seems to be such a huge step and I don't want folks to think I'm pushing.

Next question-when can they stay out if it rains? We haven't had any rain for 3 weeks, but it will rain eventually. (I hope). Is it ok to leave the coop door open and let them go in and out as desired? The coop is also 2 feet off the ground and 5'X5', so they can hang out underneath.

Your run is small enough that you could erect a simple roof over it. See mine, above.

In fact, I'm about to go out and open the door for my 9 week olds. I'll snap a photo momentarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The run is 120 sf and gets sun only part of the day, so i want to leave it open ( with wire covering). It's on the north side, behind a 3-story house in a very shady yard. I think going under the coop - or in it- is probably sufficient. They're doing beautifully outside!

I have 13 chickens. I, also, had them in a big plastic tub as a brooder. It was getting to be so overcrowded for them that I had to get them out to the coop without acclimating them. They were just over 4 weeks old when I put them out in their coop. Our weather was wonky for a few weeks. One day it would be in the 80s/60s, another in the 60s/50s, yet another in the high 90s/70s; now they are 2 months old and the weather is in the 50s/40s. They are doing just fine and still getting rid of their baby feathers. :D

Back
Top Bottom