When to order chicks?

Beverrlly

Chirping
Dec 6, 2008
Elgin, IL
We live way up in the Frozen North of North Dakota. The ground here doesn't thaw until about May. Last year I got chicks in June and was able to keep them in the brooder for a few weeks and then put them in the small coop with a heat lamp. I would really like to order chicks earlier this year since last year there wasn't much of a selection. I don't have anywhere indoors to keep them past 3 weeks or so so I have a dilemma. When do others in cold climates order chicks?

Hello, I was stationed in Minot a few years ago, so I know where you are coming from. I recall it snowing as late as May 10th, craziness!

Are your chicks from last year now a grown flock?

Best might be to put fertile eggs under a broody hen. Then she could just raise them in the coop. But, if you don't want to do that or don't think you will have a broody hen soon...

At 4 weeks I would think they would be old enough to cuddle with your older hens, so long as they are not getting attacked too much. Maybe you could start introducing during the day time at the beginning of the 3rd week?

No garage, basement, or shed w/electric to let them get to 6 weeks huh? rough. Maybe a neighbor could house them for a bit in one of those places? You could offer some of the future eggs in exchange.

I think if you got them May 1st it might work? The couple years I was there it was warmish by the 3rd week of May.

What about a local farmer? They might want chickens too and have space for them, you might work something out.

Otherwise buying a point of lay pullet might be another good option.

Thanks for your advice! We do have a shed w/electric but it belongs to the goats. I'll try to order them in late April and we can keep them in our small enclosed porch for about 4 weeks tops. After that we run out of room!

maybe you could get a wire cage, set them up in the coop with the heat lamp...let them out in the day if they play nice.
smile.png

You can order your chicks now, to get the best selection but schedule delivery later in the year. Nothing says you have to get immediate delivery.

Back
Top Bottom