When to put new chicks outside

SCOdoubleT

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2012
Hello All,
This is our first time with chicks, so we are learning as we go.

We got our chicks back at the beginning of April, so they are 5 weeks old now. We aren't rushing them out, but we were wondering when they would be ready for the coop. There is a lot more room for them out there. The chicks have tons of new feathers, but aren't fully feathered yet. However, temps here are now Highs of 70/80 and Lows of 50/60. I'm thinking those temps are fine and we will put plenty of wood shavings in the coop for them. I could even move the heat lamp out into the coop.

I was thinking to maybe move the chicks out in a week, or two, and lock them in the coop for a week, like I have read, so they get comfortable in their new home.

Thought? Comments?

Thanks!

*I* would not hesitate to move them out if I were in your shoes with those conditions - you, and the chicks, will be happy if you do!

ETA -I would not (do not, in fact as 5-6 weeks is when my littles go out) bother with the heat lamp. At 5 weeks my chicks are fully weaned off supplelmental heat.

Last edited:
Hey! We are on an identical schedule. I put my 6 chicks out 3 days ago (similar weather). They seem to be doing fine and very happy! (I'm not using any additional heat etc). Good luck!

Thanks!

Now I feel better and will get the chicks ready to leave the nest!
My how fast they've grown! :)

Thanks!

Now I feel better and will get the chicks ready to leave the nest!
My how fast they've grown! :)

It really is amazing just how fast it happens, isn't it? Sometimes I just think in wonder at how much growing and changing their little bodies have to do EVERY day to see them going from fuzzy little ball to fully feathered miniature chicken in just a few short weeks
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom