When to start Laying feed

84097newbei

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2012
My girls are 17 weeks, there are 5. I have them on Flock feed now and want to know at what age to change them to Layer feed ? The answer seems to depend on who I ask, so I thought I'd try my friends....

If you trust the feed company that makes your feed contents, then you can trust their feeding schedule which is always printed on the back of the bag, or on their website.

17 weeks is often a bit early, as many breeds don't reach point of lay until 24 weeks. Nonetheless, 17 weeks is fairly common starting point. No worries either way. When they actually are laying is always good advice.

Last edited:
When you get your first egg, you should switch them over to the layer feed.

That's what I've read on BYC and have decided to do that. The folks at the feed store insisted layer feed was fine for my 11 week old hens but I decided to go with advice from here. Good luck!
smile.png

That's what I've read on BYC and have decided to do that. The folks at the feed store insisted layer feed was fine for my 11 week old hens but I decided to go with advice from here. Good luck!
smile.png

11 weeks is far too early and that is simply bad advice. The feed companies themselves, those who we trust with the contents of our feed, simply do not recommend this early feeding of high calcium layer to pre-laying birds. This is either printed right on the back of the bag, or on the feed company's website. Store employees ought to be better informed, but sadly, they often are not.

ON the OT thread food was recently mentioned. I have added 3 pullets around 16 weeks and not yet laying. I was letting them all have the laying feed. It was mentioned to get flock food, but neither of my feed stores carry this. at the second, they told me just to use the starter, so I bought a small bag and stupidly did not read the label and it is medicated-Now what do I do?

If you trust the feed company that makes your feed contents, then you can trust their feeding schedule which is always printed on the back of the bag, or on their website.
Obviously you have very limited experience with chickens and feed companies.

I have hens, roosters and pullets all together, so I do a 1/2 and 1/2 ration. Hasn't seemed to hurt anyone and makes me feel better knowing they are all eating both. But when my pullets start laying I will stop putting the chick starter in there.

Back
Top Bottom