when to switch from starter feed?

When fermenting the fees, you have to ensure adequate ventilation. I made that mistake too, and had to adjust mg setup. A simple kitchen towel covering the bucket will work. Also, you can cut a hole in the lid and glue either window screen or small square cross stitch canvas to it. You want to keep the flies out, too.

You need to avoid that much protein in your layers. It can cause kidney problems, which can lead to gout and bumblefoot. Stick to no more than 20% protein.

For your broilers, they will develop just fine on an 18% feed, but it'll take a few extra weeks to reach harvest size. I like that idea because some complain that their broilers have trouble walking by about 8 weeks because they got too big, too fast. That isn't "natural" to me.

Last edited:
My chicks are only about 3 weeks old. I have eleven of them, but once I know which ones are hens I'll only have six (or less, eek!). Half are barred rock, the other half are rir. I'll be using them mostly just for eggs.

My local shop says they have about a 90% success rate on sexing, which is about the average for most true breeders and hatcheries. You maybe more pleasantly surprised than you think!

Both of those breeds can get large and eat well. I believe they are both considered "dual purpose," so I would always use an 18% feed for best results.

My local shop says they have about a 90% success rate on sexing, which is about the average for most true breeders and hatcheries. You maybe more pleasantly surprised than you think!

Both of those breeds can get large and eat well. I believe they are both considered "dual purpose," so I would always use an 18% feed for best results.

I got them straight run, so no sexing at all done on them. I'm hoping for at least three hens of each breed. City ordnance doesn't allow me to have more than 6 laying hens and I cannot have roosters. So if I have any roosters I'll have to get rid of them. :(
At first I was ok with that, but now I've grown attached to all of them.

I would switch them to layer feed when they are pullet sized, 12 weeks or so. If you finish a 50 lb bag in about that time, + or -, go ahead and switch to the layer. No need in buying more starter feed. Put some scratch out for them too during the transition period.

my girls hit the 20wk mark last week and this week surprised me with my first egg. I have been feeding them starter feed since they came out of the egg. I have to get feed today and will start giving them layer feed now that they are starting to lay.

When fermenting the fees, you have to ensure adequate ventilation. I made that mistake too, and had to adjust mg setup. A simple kitchen towel covering the bucket will work. Also, you can cut a hole in the lid and glue either window screen or small square cross stitch canvas to it. You want to keep the flies out, too.

You need to avoid that much protein in your layers. It can cause kidney problems, which can lead to gout and bumblefoot. Stick to no more than 20% protein.

For your broilers, they will develop just fine on an 18% feed, but it'll take a few extra weeks to reach harvest size. I like that idea because some complain that their broilers have trouble walking by about 8 weeks because they got too big, too fast. That isn't "natural" to me.

My layers are on flock raiser which I think is 20%. I had them on laying pellets, but then I got some fully feathered chicks so I had their starter food in the coop and I noticed that my hens loved to eat it all, and then I noticed that during the time they were eating the chick food their eggs were about half a size larger...and I liked that. So since I needed a feed that could feed everyone I switched to 20% flock raiser.

I like the big eggs. I'm going to keep the broilers in between 20 and 24% because the quicker they are gone the better. I'll make sure that the hens aren't getting the crazy protein though. What I wonder is why is some chick feed 24% while some is 20% why are they different. I guess the starter/grower is 20% anyway I thought to be considered too high the protein would have to be really really high like 30% it something

my girls hit the 20wk mark last week and this week surprised me with my first egg. I have been feeding them starter feed since they came out of the egg. I have to get feed today and will start giving them layer feed now that they are starting to lay.

It's always exciting when you start getting eggs. At first it took me days to gather enough eggs for an omelet, since only one hen was laying..then another pullet started and then 4 more started and now I get 6 or 7 eggs a day and am runnin out I fridge room. Luckily I have a son about to hit puberty that can't get enough eggs...he eats at least 2 a day, but often wants a late night snack of 3 or 4 eggs...lol

A friend told me that it works, and he got the information from an older man we both know, but it does work, I have found this out myself, and it is definitely worth a shot at trying, I'm honestly not for sure what it triggers to cause them to lay, but they lay better and earlier

I also had a older feller here in town that has raised chickens for more than 50 years tell me to use red pepper flakes in their feed for the same reasons. This may be one of those things that "old timers" know about that works, but we have yet to figure out scientifically just HOW it works. :)

I also had a older feller here in town that has raised chickens for more than 50 years tell me to use red pepper flakes in their feed for the same reasons. This may be one of those things that "old timers" know about that works, but we have yet to figure out scientifically just HOW it works. :)
Or it's like a lot of other stuff that "old timers" say...like about turkeys looking up in the rain and drowning and such...who knows...I'm happy with any hen that lays 5 or 6 eggs a week and you aren't going to increase that.

Got my 7 chicks the first week in February. Bought a 50# bag of chick starter. Just finished it today so bought my 2nd 50 bag of feed today. My girls are about 9 weeks old so I got the starter/grower feed. Figured I will change to "layer feed" when this bag is finished. That should be perfect timing if it lasts as long as the first bag.

Since I will be trying to permanently transfer them to the coop this week, I also got some Sweet PDZ for the poop boards in the coop. Wanted to get a hanging water container, but the TSC was out. Only have a quart jar container and I have to add water every day.

TSC in Lenoir, NC still has some chicks. One was being doctored as it had been butt pecked (ouch!)
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom