Where can I buy a stainless steel waterer?

Gardenlady2

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
Anyone know where I can buy a stainless steel chicken waterer? I have galvanized right now but worry about metals leaching into the water, plus after just one year of use they are looking pretty ugly inside. I'd like 3-gallon or 5-gallon sizes.

I would have one concern over using any metal water system...I add ACV and a minute amount of bleach to drinking water for my chickens...would this have a detrimental affect to the water and to the metal ?

I would not use one for fear of poisoning my chickens if the stainless steel affected the water quality.

Why do you put bleach in their water???

Correct, you are not supposed to use ACV in the galvanized waterers.
Stainless steel is non-reactive, so I think it would be fine to use ACV in stainless steel.

My flock has been raised exclusively on organic feed & pasture, never vaccinated or given any medications. Their waterers are the only thing they come in contact with that make me unsure of the health implications....

I've seen some glass & ceramic waterers, but they are always very small. With an average of at least 30 chickens, I need something of good size.

I don't want plastic for the same reasons- chemicals leaching into the water, especially in the sun on 90+ degree days.

One teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water is recommended by quite a few BYC followers..I admit that I was initially horrified by the thought....

After reading much on the reasons that users were adding some bleach to their water systems for chickens...I decided to try their methods...

No more slime in water...it has been said that it is good for the water ..when a chicken has pooped in the water system...it is supposed to dissipate the detrimental effects of the infected water...

I do not normally use bleach in their water..I will clean and rinse thoroughly if cleaning water systems with bleach...it is a matter of choice,,,but some use bleach regularly in water they give to their flocks....

Anyone know where I can buy a stainless steel chicken waterer? I have galvanized right now but worry about metals leaching into the water, plus after just one year of use they are looking pretty ugly inside. I'd like 3-gallon or 5-gallon sizes.

IF you find one your going to pay a good bit of money for it.
Stainless is not cheap, a 1 gallon bucket is going to run you about $16.00 and that is for a very cheap very light gauge steel. You could have up to 100.00 in a 5 gallon fountain.

.....and all stainless steel is not created equal...there are many grades of alloy out there, some would not hold up in the long run to bleaching and ACV.

After thinking about this for a moment it occurred to me that harmful stuff for our birds and us is already in the water, air, and soil. We can use any fountain or feeder available but the horse is out of the barn.

After thinking about this for a moment it occurred to me that harmful stuff for our birds and us is already in the water, air, and soil.  We can use any fountain or feeder available but the horse is out of the barn.

True, but we can still take steps to DRASTICALLY reduce our exposure.

Back
Top Bottom