Where can I get a crop feeding tube?

LizGio

Songster
May 18, 2022
Southeastern Pennsylvania
I find the syringes no problem but I can't find a crop tube for a chicken that would pass liquefied crumble. I only found one for small birds. The links on the articles pertaining to crop feeding take you to a website that now has a $75 minimum purchase. I've searched tractor supply, feed supplies, regular pharmacy, Amazon. Amazon has one but it seems to only be thin enough for milk to pass through because it's for mammals.

Walmart... aquarium tubing could work.

Have you called your nearest vet and asked if they'd give you some?

You need a semi stiff tube. Get an aquarium pump tube that will fit your syringe. Before you use it for feeding, stick the tube in hot water for 5 minutes it will become soft and pliable. Then attach to the syringe and let it cool down.

I find the syringes no problem but I can't find a crop tube for a chicken that would pass liquefied crumble. I only found one for small birds. The links on the articles pertaining to crop feeding take you to a website that now has a $75 minimum purchase. I've searched tractor supply, feed supplies, regular pharmacy, Amazon. Amazon has one but it seems to only be thin enough for milk to pass through because it's for mammals.
I've used Catheter tubes in the past and you can get these online.

You need a urinary catherter tube (for people). They are readily available on line from Amazon or specialized medical supply stores. At least in the US. You can probably get them at pharmacies too but I am not sure.
No Rx needed.
The best kind is red with a smooth tip so you don't risk scratching or scraping anything on the way down.
For a grown chicken you need a 20 or 22 'French Gauge' catheter.
There is such a thing as a crop needle which is a rigid stainless steel tube with a round end. I have never used one of those so cannot help with that.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom