Where do I find quality Araucana chickens in Canada?

Ivy99

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2015
I compleatly love this breed, but can't find any in canada. The ones I do find look like this,

I find those birds less desirable than the one I read about.

I don't even know if this is the real Araucana however, and have no idea where to buy a bird like that!

please someone I am very confused about the breed in general and if you don't know anything about them you could just tell me about a breed with that type of crest.

There are threads on this forum for auracana, americana, easter eggers, and one explaining the differences. All these threads have lots of pictures. I would advise you to check out these threads and educate yourself. The bird you say is not what you want looks like a true Auracana. The picture in the book appears to me to probably be an easter egger. (a mixed breed with the blue egg gene) The crest is not characteristic of any of these. I'd guess the easter egger in the picture has some silky in it's backgound.

Last edited:
The standard for Araucanas vary around the world. The white bird you have pictured is the American Standard, with tufts. The black one in your book appears to be the British/UK standard, which includes crests, muffs, and beards. It may be more difficult to find the British standard in North America.
I compleatly love this breed, but can't find any in canada. The ones I do find look like this,

I find those birds less desirable than the one I read about.

I don't even know if this is the real Araucana however, and have no idea where to buy a bird like that!

this thread is almost 6 years old ;)
sometimes, we accidentally stumble upon an old thread and we reply to it. it's been happening a bit more because of the new Similar Threads feature :D
but as you familiarize yourself with this site, it will be easier to notice how old the threads are :)

Back
Top Bottom