Where should I put my coop?

What about just 3
It isn't the quantity.... a single hen will be enough to alert your neighbors to their presence. They're not usually all loud at once, they're happy to take turns.

My very first flock was in a nice subdivision on a cul de sac. Fortunately, we didn't have a HOA to contend with. The city allowed chickens if your coop was 100 ft away from your neighbors home. I had exactly one spot in my backyard that could meet the requirement so that's where we built. Our coop was very nice-we spent a lot of time on it and quite a bit of money. It was important to make it "fit in" with the neighborhood and have it not be an eyesore. We had 3 hens in that coop for the first year and eventually expanded to 6.

We told all of the neighbors what we were doing before we did it because we wanted a chance to be able to address any concerns they had. They all, with one exception, absolutely hated the idea. Fortunately, we had the law on our side. We only let them know as a courtesy-we were in no way obligated to have their permission. Over the 2 years we had them before we moved, most of our neighbors came around to them because they weren't smelly-which was initially the main concern for most of them. That said, there was zero chance we could have hidden them-mostly because of the noise. A single hen can make a lot of noise. I went out to my coop about an hour ago to check on a broody hen and one of my polish was in the run and started screaming bloody murder when she saw me to let me know I better have treats. They're just....loud.

You likely won't live in that house forever. We wanted chickens in the first house we lived in but it wasn't realistic. Our second house wasn't ideal but that's where we started out. The third house was purchased with the intent of having all the damn animals we wanted with no restrictions and no close neighbors to deal with.

Another quick story. A coworker of mine in St. Louis got surprised by his wife a few years ago with 2 baby chicks-a Buff Orpington and an Australorp. Said coworker had no real desire to keep chickens but his wife and kids wanted them so badly he built a small and very discreet coop in the yard under a tree and behind some shrubs. It wasn't visible unless you were looking for it. The noise of 2 quiet breed hens was enough that the neighbors notified the HOA. They made him rehome them and take the coop down. It was awful because at that point they had all become attached to them.

Can you do some research into the likely concerns of the HOA members and petition them to keep a small number of hens as long as it addresses all of usual concerns? Smell, waste disposal, space requirements, coop design, disease, etc? That may be your best bet.

I got several hens that bitch up a storm if another is in their favorite box, so yeah your neighbors will know and so will the HOA

I'm on acreage and most houses on my area are at least 1/2 acre. Even then I can tell you every house here that has chickens, because you can hear them from the street, from a few houses away. My chickens are overall pretty quiet but when they're arguing over a nest box, or excited to see me in the morning, they're going to make some noise.

Chickens are loud, and if you don't have a rooster, sometimes the top hen will take over his crowing job. How's your HOA feel about quail? Would you need licenses or permits for quail in your area? Huge advantages of quail: About one ounce of quail feed or game bird feed daily per bird (16 meals per pound of feed), incredibly small footprint, can spaciously accommodate 8 hens and one roo in a 3x4 cage. They're super quiet, well, the roo will make the occasional call, but it's more of a trilling sound than ye-olde-cock-a-doodle-do and an egg a day per hen. If you choose to try quail instead, only one roo, as they have been known to fight to the death for the right to mate (they don't share). Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

Back
Top Bottom