Where should I put my Gray Silkie?!?

Happy Henny

Songster
May 30, 2018
VA
Hi, I have a Gray silkie that I am going to give to my sister but I don't know where I would put her:(! I am going to breed show quality silkies and my mom is going to breed candy corn polish, and then there is going to be a main coop with all of the chickens we are just going to keep the whole families chickens. My sister wants my gray silkie so bad but if I give her to her then where would we put her? We can't put her in with my moms Polish because it would probably mess up her breeding because they both lay white eggs. And if we put her in the silkie breeding cage it would mess up my breeding and I don't want to sell silkies with missing toe nails!:( But we can't put her in the whole families chicken cage because all of the chickens in there are large fowl and they always say not to put bantams in with large fowl because they might hurt the bantams. I do not want to put her by herself in a cage because 1st of all we would have to build another chicken cage and then we would have 4 cages, and then 2nd of all she would be lonely, and I don't want to buy any more chickens because we already would have like... 50! So can anyone make any suggestions on what I should do?!?

But we can't put her in the whole families chicken cage because all of the chickens in there are large fowl and they always say not to put bantams in with large fowl because they might hurt the bantams.
I kept my Silkies with my large fowl hens for years without issue and ONLY moved them when I added a large fowl rooster to avoid ACCIDENTAL mating injury.

I would keep her with the Polish and remove any chicks hatched with feathered legs or 5 toes instead of worrying about all the other stuff. :pop

Have you considered having her as a house chicken? Your family becomes her flock.My friend has kept house chickens for over 30 years. Generally silkies , at present she has a matronly silkie and serama hens. At one time she had 5 in the house. Don't know if she will replace them after they pass - she is 80 years old now, and the town wants to tear down the old houses(like hers).

There is a thread you can check out "people with house chickens."

Back
Top Bottom