Where to buy chick dispatcher ?

Quote:
To clarify for the other responders, i think that the o.p. is looking for poultry dispatcher for dispatching grown chickens - not for baby chicks.

No, it is definitely chicks. Here is a quote from the linked site...

"Small hand-held Humane Dispatcher suitable for chicks, ducklings and very small birds from Mardle. "

OH! Forgive me please.

Quote:
To clarify for the other responders, i think that the o.p. is looking for poultry dispatcher for dispatching grown chickens - not for baby chicks.

No, it is definitely chicks. Here is a quote from the linked site...

"Small hand-held Humane Dispatcher suitable for chicks, ducklings and very small birds from Mardle. "

No, it is definitely both. Here is a quote from lower on the page...

"Wall-mounted Mardle Maxi Humane Dispatcher suitable for smaller breeds of adult Chickens, Guinea Fowl, Ducks and Pheasants."

Bil

Id rather use a gun than that thing.... looks like something out of Hostile....

Personally I'm a bit savage I guess.... if a chick is going to die and there isn't anything I can do, I just pop the head off. It's like pulling apart a cotton ball. Quick, painless, and less likely to chop off my finger or screw things up.

I know not everyone can do this but for me it's the best way so far....

Prancie, there is not a device being sold here in the US that is similar to that "nutcracker" type of device. It does not look like a cutting device but I might be wrong. As narrow as the blade goes, it would seat itself between the spine, thus dislocate it. Very effective manner. It does not do a guillotine type method but it might be just easier to use it.

A few years ago I found one that is similar to it but it was more rounded and it would "crush" the vertibrae and sometimes pulling the legs downward would give a pop sound, neck is dislocated.

If it was me, I would use the broomstick method, or simply yanking on it for juvies and adults. As for baby chicks, putting them in plastic bag and smash them HARD against the concrete would produce instant death. It is not easy but it's easier on me with the frame of mind to "detach my emotions and feelings" toward this method. Otherwise I would not be able to do it and make the chick suffer unnecessarily.

I woudl have to agree with just pulling the head much easier and you dont have to buy anything ... I am not against chicks as feed for reptiles... I am happy to see you are trying to do it as painless as possible for the chicks..

Last edited:
Quote:
lol great use for unwanted chicks i donate mine to the science center to feed their raptors and snakes i also donate the heads of the birds i butcher for meat

i normally just squeeze the neck until the spine separates some times the head comes off but this way is very quick and most of the time bloodless

you can squeeze a chick with your thumb and pointer finger right underneath its wings basically you prevent the chick from breathing and it dies pretty quick and no blood
also you can put them in a box and place them in the freezer the birds just go to sleep due to the cold but this can take 15minutes or so

Prancie, are you looking for this tool because you want the most humane method to dispatch your birds? I agree with the others that you don't need this special tool to do a humane job. Any sharp shears that can cut right through a chicken neck could be used, you can practice on a purchased chicken neck. And you can learn to quickly break a chicken's neck with just your hands, or by using a broomstick to hold the head in place. Both methods are quick & sure, therefore humane. But smashing, bashing, or freezing are not as quick or as certain, I see no reason to use those methods when these other techniques are available.

that kinda reminds me of a lobster shell cracker thing... i haven't yet tried this method but knock the chick [bird] unconcious with a quick rap to the head w/ a hammer or just on a table, then remove the head, it's easier on alot of people psychologicaly and probably the bird too.

Back
Top Bottom