Where to get baby chicks? We lost our chickens

I just checked Ideal’s website. Their next chick ship date is 1/3 (most hatcheries don’t ship around Christmas). Out of the breeds you are looking for, they do have
Silver laced wyandotte, golden laced wyandotte, columbian wyandotte, blue laced red wyandotte (straight run only) barnevelder, blue cuckoo maran, black copper Maran (straight run only), cuckoo maran, easter egger, speckled sussex. For Orpingtons they have buff pullets and lavender straight run. They have olive eggers also. Hope that helps.

I just checked Ideal’s website. Their next chick ship date is 1/3 (most hatcheries don’t ship around Christmas). Out of the breeds you are looking for, they do have
Silver laced wyandotte, golden laced wyandotte, columbian wyandotte, blue laced red wyandotte (straight run only) barnevelder, blue cuckoo maran, black copper Maran (straight run only), cuckoo maran, easter egger, speckled sussex. For Orpingtons they have buff pullets and lavender straight run. They have olive eggers also. Hope that helps.
That is wonderful!

We lost our 16/22 of our chickens from wild dogs. We had our chickens free ranging and came back and the wind managed to blow the door closed and 6 chickens were unharmed inside our coop. Where is the best place to order chickens from if you order online? Last year, we got them locally.
Cackle hatchery or McMurry hatchery

edit: If you'll go to your county commissioners office you can file a claim (with the state) for loss of livestock from predators and be reimbursed.You must be able to furnish proof.(Hopefully enough to buy chicks locally) Few people bother to do this but I don't know why. I've never see anyone mention they've done this before in the forums.Not sure why.
Not all counties or states do this. Our county has an ordinance tied into their dog licensing program for reimbursement. A photo of the pitbull with a bloody face and the dog tag with owners number was not enough proof of a chicken attempt and a $375 vet bill to sew up a horse. We no longer send in licensing fee for any of our dogs. We fenced our 4 acres with woven wire to keep the stray dogs out. The stray cats end up getting shot if they mess around the coop too much. I can keep the chickens safe from coon, skunks, birds and possums. Domestic pests end up being fish and scavenger food.

Not all counties or states do this. Our county has an ordinance tied into their dog licensing program for reimbursement. A photo of the pitbull with a bloody face and the dog tag with owners number was not enough proof of a chicken attempt and a $375 vet bill to sew up a horse. We no longer send in licensing fee for any of our dogs. We fenced our 4 acres with woven wire to keep the stray dogs out. The stray cats end up getting shot if they mess around the coop too much. I can keep the chickens safe from coon, skunks, birds and possums. Domestic pests end up being fish and scavenger food.
When a bear killed my neighbors chickens and destroyed his coop he was paid for both and given a special permit to kill it.

We lost our 16/22 of our chickens from wild dogs. We had our chickens free ranging and came back and the wind managed to blow the door closed and 6 chickens were unharmed inside our coop. Where is the best place to order chickens from if you order online? Last year, we got them locally.
I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING THEM LOCALLY. i GET MINE AT A FEED STORE AND THEY WILL TAKE BACK ANY DEATH WITHIN 24 HR. If YOU GO ON LINE YOU WILL NOT GET THIS OFFER. I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH PULLETS ALL BEING PULLETS AND NO ROOSTERS mixed in. Go Local.

I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING THEM LOCALLY. i GET MINE AT A FEED STORE AND THEY WILL TAKE BACK ANY DEATH WITHIN 24 HR. If YOU GO ON LINE YOU WILL NOT GET THIS OFFER. I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH PULLETS ALL BEING PULLETS AND NO ROOSTERS mixed in. Go Local.
Most local feed stores get chicks in the mail from hatcheries. In my area, they won’t get chicks until around March, and they stop in August at the very latest.

But yet not one word about how to protect your next batch of chickens from being Murdered by these roving dogs.
Maybe you should figure that out before you get more chickens killed.

Starkline has an excellent line of electric fences and Benelli has a wonderful line of shotguns. I suggest you start will #4's and then go to 00 Buck, i follow that with a Slug.
I place more value and take responsibility for my flocks lives than I do a pack of killer dogs. I suggest you prepare for their return because they will be back.

Back
Top Bottom