Where to store quail eggs

Roscoe I Cant Help You With Logistics... I Use The Sterlite Totes For Brooders.... Have Stacks Of Them... So I Am Never At A Premium For Space. At Anytime 1 Can Find As Few As 4-5, Or As Many As 32-35 Or So In Use Here, Just Kinda Depends On What I'm Doin' And Have Going On At Any 1 Time, Unfortunately With The Speces I Deal With Routinely It Gets Kinda Fuzzy At Times... I Can Say Coturnix Are The Easiest Of What I Have
hmm.png

Just Think It Through And You'll Come Up With A Workable Plan For Your Specific Situation... Maybe Add Some Brooders? Or Get Selective On Setting Batches? 1 Thing For Sure If You Plan To Continue This Way Your Current Setup Will Be Resource Depleted Rather Quickly- I Like The Totes For Brooders As They Offer Many Good Characteristics Such As Infinite Flexibility Of Use ~ Anything From Fresh Hatched Chick Brooder To Infirmary For Walking Wounded, Short Term Temporary Housing, And Most Stuff In Between. They're Readily Sanitizable... A Lil Bleach And Water For 30 Minutes, Allow To Air Dry, And Its Ready For Redeployment Where Needed. Oh You Can Find Them In Many Many Stores And They're Cheap ~ Ya Gotta Like That
smile.png

Quote:
JJ -
Thanks for your response! i was told that cortunix must have wire mesh floors as they huddle up at night rather than roost. if they've a solid floor and huddle, they'll get sick and die.

the cost of the wire mesh is what will put me further in a hole to dig out of (with respect to finances in this project). i'll probably end up with six brooders. i hope i continue this for years so it pays itself back!

let me know about the solid floor vs wire mesh flooring. and if you use solid floors, what type of ventilation.

THanks for your help!

rosco
ps. coldest bathtub in house is 67.5F vs 68F in guest room closet. we've a crawl space, but there is no way i'm getting down there!

Thanks for your response! i was told that cortunix must have wire mesh floors as they huddle up at night rather than roost. if they've a solid floor and huddle, they'll get sick and die.

HUH?
hu.gif

I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANYTHING SO FANCIFUL AND FAR FETCHED
idunno.gif

IF YOUR BROODING CORRECTLY THEY WILL BE SPRAWLED ALL ACROSS THE BROODER WHEN SLEEPING... USUALLY( WITH COTURNIX AT LEAST) FLOPPED OVER ON THEIR SIDES SO WHEN YOU PEEK IN IT SCARES THE BEJESUS OUT OF YOU BECUASE IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE 2DZ DEAD CHICKS ALL FLOPPED OVER ON THEIR SIDES GRAVEYARD DEAD!
ep.gif

NO MATTER WHAT FLOORING CONSTRUCTION IS THEY SHOULD BE SPREAD OUT DOIN WHAT CHICKS DO AT THAT AGE... EATING, POOPING, AND SLEEPING, AND THE OCCAISIONAL SNEAK ATTACK ON DUMB OLE MORTY OVER THERE BY THE WATER FONT... IF YOUR CHICKS ARE HUDDLED THATS CAUSE FOR INVESTIGATION... HUDDLED UNDER THE LIGHT= TOO COLD/ HUDDLED AWAY FROM THE LIGHT = TOO HOT. I NEVER USE THERMOMETERS IN BROODERS.... THATS WHAT THE CHICKS ARE FOR ~ LIL FUZZY THERMOMETERS WITH FEET
jumpy.gif
(SAVES ON BATTERIES AND THEY ARE WAY MORE ACCURATE THAN ANYTHING YOU CAN BUY AT WALMART OR HOME DEPOT)

what type of ventilation

I CUT THE MIDDLE OUT OF THE TOTE LIDS AND INSERT CHICKEN WIRE INTO THE OPENING... THIS ALLOWS SUFFICIENT AIRFLOW AND THE LIGHT CAN BE PLACED DIRECTLY UPON THE WIRE (WIRE ONLY--- NO PLASTIC) AND BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY A LID IS MANDATORY EQUIPMENT
roll.png

I've been told to brood them on wire too. The guy at the feed store told me to use 1/4 inch wire for quail and pheasant. He told me they would eat their poop and die. He did tell me now was a horrible time to hatch coturnix because they won't survive the winter, apparently they are not fully grown when they have been laying for 6 weeks.
he.gif

Quote:
if you're referring to me, you've guessed wrongly. this isn't a money making venture and will probably be a loosing venture. you'd never guess what these are for.

however, i have seen the websites about making money by raising quail. Here, you need a special license to sell bobwhites and there is a NPIP inspection and more. these are cortunix anyhow?. a local bird dog club sells them for $4 each. that is less money per bird than what i've spent so far raising them

after hearing from quailladyoffortmyers and JJMR794, i'll put a batch in a sterylite tote if i'm out of wire floor space. i prefer the wire floor to sanitation is easier. we used sterylites with several chicks.

i'm getting six eggs a day at present. the four compartment breeder cages will be full in a couple of weeks. the second batch isn't laying yet. i'm thinking one male to five females. i think JJ wrote one male to 4-6 females will work. more females per male and they fight.

Quote:
if you're referring to me, you've guessed wrongly. this isn't a money making venture and will probably be a loosing venture. you'd never guess what these are for.

however, i have seen the websites about making money by raising quail. Here, you need a special license to sell bobwhites and there is a NPIP inspection and more. these are cortunix anyhow?. a local bird dog club sells them for $4 each. that is less money per bird than what i've spent so far raising them

after hearing from quailladyoffortmyers and JJMR794, i'll put a batch in a sterylite tote if i'm out of wire floor space. i prefer the wire floor to sanitation is easier. we used sterylites with several chicks.

i'm getting six eggs a day at present. the four compartment breeder cages will be full in a couple of weeks. the second batch isn't laying yet. i'm thinking one male to five females. i think JJ wrote one male to 4-6 females will work. more females per male and they fight.

Oh no, not you. Some guy at the feed store who says I'm always doing things wrong... He saw some article where they brood on wire floors so the chicks have good leg development and get bigger. This guy read the article and hatched out a ton of bobwhites and wondered why he couldn't sell them for $10 a bird...

these are cortunix quail. i'm not selling them or their eggs.

i ignored all those articles. got a book that a person on another forum recommended. the book is "game bird propagation." help has come from quailladyoffortmyers & JJ. possibly from another lady, but i think it was quailladyoffortmyers who helped me via email during our first quail hatch.

Quote:
i'm now wanting to replace the bottle waterers with a nipple watering system. Bass Equipment Company has a good Edmonton (sp?) brand set-up for rats. but it is a pin nipple so it would doubtfully work for quail.

Can you or anyone recommend a system they've used and know to be reliable?

ThX in Advance!

Back
Top Bottom