Where's a good place to buy and what kind of live worms to feed my "girls"?

Hi, I'm new here, live in Kona Hawaii and have feral chickens, not quite the same as most of you. We feed them scratch grains twice a day. Current flock is about 7 hens and a rooster. It was close to 40 with multiple roosters about 8 years ago. Not sure why it dropped. Honestly, 40 was too many but 8 is not enough. I think mongooses are eating the eggs so I am planning on building some safe nesting boxes.

I've noticed when I work in the yard and turn over rocks the chickens get very interested and move in quickly on anything wormlike including centipedes. I'm thinking of getting them some superworms (see Amazon) but not sure if it is something they will eat.

Comments?
I live near Hilo. The feral flock over here loves new turned rocks. My little domestic flock really love Black Soldier Fly larva that I hand feed them to make them chill if not excited to have humans around.
I got my small back of BSF crisps from Tractor Supply.
I've heard YouTubers talk about Grubly for meal worms and BSL.

BSL are apparently really easy to raise and they self cull. I have been toying with the idea of making a compost bin that will give the domestic flock an endless supply of tasty little bugs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom