Which books ?

Wetherwell

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
Which book(s) would y'all recommend for the best information on raising hens and their health ?
hu.gif

Here's another recommendation for Storey's. My copy never gets put in the bookshelf.

Depending on your goals, The Small-Scale Poultry Flock by Harvey Ussery is a great book. I've been referring to it a lot lately as I've started making and growing my own feeds.

"The Small-Scale Poultry Flock is the only complete guide available to using your poultry as an integrated part of a self-reliant farmstead—a topic not addressed at this depth and breadth in any other poultry book. Author Harvey Ussery combines his clear, down-to-earth writing style with creative strategies throughout. He comprehensively explores a wide range of topics including chicken behavior, anatomy, holistic health care, making your own poultry feeds and finding alternative home feeds, breeding your own poultry stock, butchering poultry, and much more. This book covers it all."

—Elaine Belanger, Editor, Backyard Poultry magazine

Mr. Ussery also recommends the Storey book, so why not buy both?
wink.png

Read every book in my library system before the chicks arrived,
including Storey's as per my obsessive nature.

Raising Chickens For Dummies was loaded with info, more than I wanted to know.
I also found the 4H Guide To Raising Chickens was concise and clear although
aimed at a younger audience.
Chickens for Dummies would probably be my first choice.

I have A Chicken in Every Backyard by Litt. A pretty good book. They give information based on real world experience from their customers at the Urban Farm Store. They typically give hard and fast rules, mostly recommendations and lots of anecdotal info from their customers.

Back
Top Bottom