Which breed is best for avoiding predators?

Look for flighty birds, but they all make good raccoon snacks.

I agree that a good dog is your best bet.

I say that as someone who has never lost a free ranged bird (except when my German Shorthair Pointer got loose). We've lost some to weasels that got in a pen, though.

some of the wild type birds like egyption flymoise (spelling?) ive heard are good at staying clear of preditors. a sussex or other bird that blends in are also good against hawks

We have all kinds of critters we don't need coyote,bob cat,possies,coon,hawks,dogs you name it we have it and they all love chicken
rant.gif
We have lots of breeds of chickens don't dare to list them because I will miss something but we do free range they have hundreds of acres if they choose.The only breed that we have never lost one yet is the white leghorn..so long for the white bird gets ate first..they are very alert and fly super. We do lock them up at night but our others have become early morning and lunch meals for critters..we kill as needed they are only allowed to live in the back of the property.
Oh what's wrong with being a red neck
idunno.gif

Best bet for avoiding short legged preditors is a single strand of electric fence around your property between half a foot and a foot off the ground. Raccoons are smart. It doesn't take them long to figure out it hurts.

I would say a small light good flyer. Leghorn is smart active and a good flyer. Maybe Hamburg or if in a warm climate Pendacosa..

Out of my EE's, Marans, and pure breed Ameraucana's the Ameraucana's are the wildest and best adapted to staying out of trouble in the woods, yet having the biggest roam area. They work as a flock, some eating others watching.
(I am biased.. Beautiful birds..
smile.png
)

All but the Marans know how to duck for cover when they spot an eagle or osprey.

ON

Thanks for all the input
hugs.gif

We purchased some young OEGB from a local farm. They're older chicks with adult feathers but still make baby peep peep sounds (would this be called fledglings???) and are so cute. Their flock is totally free range and roost in the trees at night. But hopefully my babies will roost in the coop because we have some big owls here. One time a brave owl snatched a guinea that was roosting on our AC unit but it ended up dropping it as we were running behind. The bird survived despite deep puncture wounds. Anyway, one chick may have some silkie in it because she has black skin, a little top knot on her head, and an extra toe on one side (other foot just has a tiny bump). She otherwise looks the same except that her wings don't point as far down. But there were no silkies on the farm so idk. Are there any other breeds with black skin and extra toes?

In response to the dog comments, we do have a little chihuahua that, believe it or not, loves to chase raccoons and other critters. I've heard stories of coons killing dogs and used to worry about it but he's been doing it for over 5 years so I just let him go at it now. Hopefully the coons won't ever realize that he could be their 5lb doggy snack.

Quote:
I totally agree but my roo hasn't been doing such a good job. Lately he's been more interested in attacking the kids than anything else (they get him back by carrying him around like a baby). My white silkie roo, Fluffy, was a better protector. But Big Sexy is a big beautiful bird that's good to the hens.

This is Big Sexy with Henie, a 3/4 white leghorn- 1/4 silkie mix:

40120_p1080367.jpg

peacocks are mean suckers. and those big geese. i remeber being bit by one when i little. anywho they make these things a mcmurry hatchery a red light thing and it keep preditors away i guessing birds arnt going to do much at night. also if you want some spirited rooster anything in the game type family would do the crackle hatchery sells them. game rooster. old english game fowl. they also sell egss on ebay if you want some that are made for the pits
sad.png
. just type in gamefowl

Lakenvelders and Hamburgs. Althrough, they are all subject to being prey these are very fighty and stand the best chance. I hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom