Which breed lays brown speckled eggs?

Just to revive this thread...I have a mutt who gives me wonderful speckled eggs. I can only guess that she's got RIR in her as she looks like one, not nearly as dark though. And she has white earlobes. The farmer we got her from says his chickens have been from RIR and leghorns. The eggs are a light brown with reddish specks. They're my favourite. I would love to know if you can breed for this trait, any more tips out there?

For the first time today we found a brown speckled egg. We have orpingtons, barred rocks, speckled sussex, rhode island reds and red stars. Up until a few days ago we only had orps and bared rocks. Who laid the egg??

I'm going to guess that it's either your Red Star or your Orps, mainly because I get up to two speckled brown eggs a day, 3-4 times a week and we just added those two breeds to our flock this year. They are the only breeds we have in common with yours. Our eggs are a light to medium brown with deep reddish colored speckles and they are just beautiful eggs...everyones favorites!

I am so confused after reading all these posts> I really thought I had at least 4 of mine pinned on whose egg belongs to who but I am so confused now!! Oh my goodness. So I think my black astrollope is laying brown speckled... any one know if that's possible?

What a cool looking egg! I'm trying to get some really spotty layers to try to make a reliably speckled olive egger. I've seen some on eBay listed as "speckled old style Welsummer hatching eggs" that have small to very large spots on the eggs, much like wild bird eggs that are spotted. I'm not sure whether those are just cherry-picked for the photo or if they really are mosty spotted like those. I've never had Welsummers before so I'm not sure what to expect. I just bought two Welsummer pullets and am hoping for spots... If not them, maybe my one BCM gal will make me some. : )

How do you know if it's just a speckled egg or a calcium deficiency ???

I've never really had a calcium deficiency problem here (except occasionally with a new layer) but the eggs are literally decorated...I wouldn't imagine you could mistake the two if compared. More often than anything, I find a calcium deficiency usually comes in the form of an egg with no shell or a soft or irregularly shaped egg, although this could also be a vitamin D deficiency. Here's a link (if this works) to a blog with some good, quick info on the subject. Roots 'n' Shoots: December 2014 (you should be able to right click on the link and open it...hope this helps you!

Back
Top Bottom