Which breed lays brown speckled eggs?

Well, so now I am on the hunt for Wellsummers. Went on the "Peep at the Coops" tour in Dallas today and noone seem to know about them but I hope that I can find some around the Dallas area. Thanks to all who have them. I have not seen a Quail egg but I will do some research on that as well. Never knew that selling eggs could be a decorating thing! But it pays the feed bill and might buy some knew birds!!

Quote:
If my Marans ever laid "just plain brown" eggs I think I'd cull or sell them ALL in an instant.
wink.png

Marans lay nice speckles on their eggs now and then, Welsummer eggs are usually pretty speckled, and Welsummer cross eggs are a lot like Quail eggs.

Inquiring minds wanna know...........

Welsummer crossed with what gives you eggs that look like quail eggs? Tell me what I have to breed him with, I love the look of quail eggs.
droolin.gif

Someone took a Marans, Welsummer, and Penedesenca and smashed em together to make a quail egger.
big_smile.png

I believe that only my Plymouth rock is laying so far and I have had a speckled light brown egg or two. The only other suspect would be my New Hampshire red but I don't believe she is laying yet. I know that my Amerucana is not the layer and I don't believe that my Rhode Island red has started laying yet.

I have australorps, amricaunas, barred rocks, buff orpingtons, red stars, partridge rocks, and silver wyndottes (multiples of each) and I get 1 extra large brwon speckled egg
3-4 x a week. I've had chickens for 3 years, same breeds, and this is the 1st year
I've gotten speckled eggs. Any ideas?

Awe shucks, we don't have a welsummer...but I have an Buff Orpington and she lays beautiful brown eggs, 2 bearded americanas and they lay small green eggs, then I have 2 chickens that haven't laid UNTIL now. One is a Gold Laced Wyndotte and the other is a Buff Brahma (feathered feet)...this week we got a super light brown one it almost looks pinkish and now add a speckled light brown egg. I don't know which is which and it's killing our girls (and me).

Sounds to me like the speckles come and go for breeds like Orpington. Hmmmm....
I'm getting dark brown eggs with red speckles and light brown eggs with dark speckles and solid pinkish brown eggs with no speckles. (My breeds are in my signature.)

Back
Top Bottom