Which breed to try for new rooster?

RaeElizabeth

Songster
May 3, 2020
We have not had good luck with roosters. We are trying to raise a replacement for our current rooster from one of the breeds of chicks we have now. Of the following, which do you think has the best chance of being a kid-safe, well tempered rooster?

Black Diamond
Lavender Orpington
Lavender Ameraucana
Welsummer
Silked Easter Egger
55 Flowery

We also have a Brahma mix, but unsure what he’s mixed with.

And some other bym but their father is our current rooster. It isn’t that he’s awful, he just only has two hens (we lost the rest to predators last year before we brought him here and he was obviously not around humans much) and he is very attached to and protective over one hen in particular. And she happens to be like a dog. She runs to me whenever she sees me and he HATES it. It freaks him out and he clearly doesn’t understand what’s happening. He’s never outright attacked anyone but he does charge and jump dramatically. And he has bitten me. He is marans/ameraucana.

Also* Any tips to raising a good rooster?? There must be something I’m missing.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you only have 2 hens, you really don't need any roosters. Roosters need a lot of space, more so than hens. Often times people with just 1-3 hens have very small coops, and the chance of getting a good rooster in that set up is pretty slim.

Do you have 6 cockerels and are trying to decide which to keep? Or are going to get cockerel chicks and hope to raise a good one. If you are getting a rooster - well you would do better to go with an older rooster that has been raised in a multigenerational flock with some chicken manners. He probably won't be a pet, but should know how to take care of girls.

But if you only have 2 hens, I would strongly recommend no roosters.

ps: if that little darling in your picture lives with you or visits often, I would not get a rooster until that child is 6 years or more. Roosters tend to attack children first.

Mrs K

If you only have 2 hens, you really don't need any roosters. Roosters need a lot of space, more so than hens. Often times people with just 1-3 hens have very small coops, and the chance of getting a good rooster in that set up is pretty slim.

Do you have 6 cockerels and are trying to decide which to keep? Or are going to get cockerel chicks and hope to raise a good one. If you are getting a rooster - well you would do better to go with an older rooster that has been raised in a multigenerational flock with some chicken manners. He probably won't be a pet, but should know how to take care of girls.

But if you only have 2 hens, I would strongly recommend no roosters.

ps: if that little darling in your picture lives with you or visits often, I would not get a rooster until that child is 6 years or more. Roosters tend to attack children first.

Mrs K
I have 3 children, the youngest is 4. This photo is about 2 years old. I’m almost 40. 😉

We brought in the rooster after losing most of our flock to predators, and he has done the job of keeping these last 2 safe. They free range in a large fenced in area during the day that used to be a dog yard (that our dog never used.) He has plenty of room.

We are hatching chicks of all the above breeds. And we just hatched 2 dozen bym as well as brought in a few older chicks… the diamond and the Brahma.

Well roosters and cockerels are a crap shoot, no matter what the breed. It is mostly trial and error. I have found I get the best luck when I raise them up in the flock from about 3 weeks on. I do not make pets of mine, and I want them to naturally move away from me and maintain a 5-6 foot space away from me.

I have had chickens for near 20 years. I am dang picky about a rooster. My last rooster was ugly as sin, but scored the highest in all the other traits - careful breeder, kept ladies together, kept space away from me, the grandkid test - did not get upset, just moved away. tidbitted, took the girls in to look at nests, was great with chicks and died protecting his girls.

The one I got now, is awaiting the broomstick. There just really is no set of rules that if you get this kind, do this, don't do that you get a perfect rooster. It is a crap shoot.

Mrs K

My two cents worth, I have had several really nasty roosters in the past. Never could trust them around me or kids. Then we happened to get this one by accident, was supposed to be a pullet chick but turned out to be a cockerel. He is the sweetest natured roo you could ever wish for, does a fine job of keeping the flock in order. Black laced red wyandotte. I seriously doubt that the breed has anything to do with it. So, you just never know until he grows up and you see what disposition you have to deal with.

Black Diamond
Lavender Orpington
Lavender Ameraucana
Welsummer
Silked Easter Egger
55 Flowery

We also have a Brahma mix, but unsure what he’s mixed with.
From what I've seen and also from what I've read on this forum you can get a monster of a rooster toward humans or toward the hens from any breed. You can get a great rooster from any breed. In my opinion, breed doesn't matter.

Nature or nurture. Are bad roosters that way at hatch or are they created? I think it is a bit of both. Even when raised the same way some are good and some are bad. I've read a lot of posts about never handling a cockerel versus handling him a lot. I've also read a lot of stories where roosters raised each way were either good or bad. I'm not convinced one way or the other is "best".

I should say that we are well aware that no rooster should ever be left unattended around small children!
I totally agree. Some broody hens have been known to protect their chicks too.

I do remember a story in here where somebody had a great rooster, no problems at all. He also thought it was real cute when his 4 or 5 year old son was chasing the hens around. At least it was cute until the rooster finally attacked his son. A rooster's job is to protect his flock. In my opinion, that rooster was taught to be human aggressive.

In your situation I'd pick one I liked best for whatever reasons and try it. If it doesn't work try another one.

From what I've seen and also from what I've read on this forum you can get a monster of a rooster toward humans or toward the hens from any breed. You can get a great rooster from any breed. In my opinion, breed doesn't matter.

Nature or nurture. Are bad roosters that way at hatch or are they created? I think it is a bit of both. Even when raised the same way some are good and some are bad. I've read a lot of posts about never handling a cockerel versus handling him a lot. I've also read a lot of stories where roosters raised each way were either good or bad. I'm not convinced one way or the other is "best".

I totally agree. Some broody hens have been known to protect their chicks too.

I do remember a story in here where somebody had a great rooster, no problems at all. He also thought it was real cute when his 4 or 5 year old son was chasing the hens around. At least it was cute until the rooster finally attacked his son. A rooster's job is to protect his flock. In my opinion, that rooster was taught to be human aggressive.

In your situation I'd pick one I liked best for whatever reasons and try it. If it doesn't work try another one.
Yes I was reading through some very long older posts yesterday about raising roosters and the info on “how” to end up with a good one seems totally conflicting.

Back
Top Bottom