Which breed to try for new rooster?

The friendliest rooster breeds I’ve ever owned are my Light Brahma and my Swedish Flower. I’d recommend any Brahma myself… they’re so sweet, but as for “child safe” from experience it all depends on how the rooster is raised. My old roosters chick pen was under a trampoline where kids would jump, even after they were out my little sisters friends would chase, hit, grab and throw my chickens… to say the least Cowboy (the rooster) became agressive, but his son Clive was a sweetheart when raised in a different environment and those kids were no longer allowed in our yard. He did make us nervous about eventually becoming agressive (moved from a three rooster- about 10 hen flock to what was at the time a 13 hen 1 rooster flock so he was quite overwhelmed and getting rather stuck up) but he never tried to hurt anyone like Cowboy did.

I raised my Swedish flower indoors for the longest time, when he was moved outside he was interacted with by children and people by feeding treats so now he loves people and will approach us looking for food

Well roosters and cockerels are a crap shoot, no matter what the breed. It is mostly trial and error. I have found I get the best luck when I raise them up in the flock from about 3 weeks on. I do not make pets of mine, and I want them to naturally move away from me and maintain a 5-6 foot space away from me.

I have had chickens for near 20 years. I am dang picky about a rooster. My last rooster was ugly as sin, but scored the highest in all the other traits - careful breeder, kept ladies together, kept space away from me, the grandkid test - did not get upset, just moved away. tidbitted, took the girls in to look at nests, was great with chicks and died protecting his girls.

The one I got now, is awaiting the broomstick. There just really is no set of rules that if you get this kind, do this, don't do that you get a perfect rooster. It is a crap shoot.

Mrs K
Loved your comments. I think we're kindred spirits when it comes to roosters... hence, my user name. 😄

Well roosters and cockerels are a crap shoot, no matter what the breed. It is mostly trial and error. I have found I get the best luck when I raise them up in the flock from about 3 weeks on. I do not make pets of mine, and I want them to naturally move away from me and maintain a 5-6 foot space away from me.

I have had chickens for near 20 years. I am dang picky about a rooster. My last rooster was ugly as sin, but scored the highest in all the other traits - careful breeder, kept ladies together, kept space away from me, the grandkid test - did not get upset, just moved away. tidbitted, took the girls in to look at nests, was great with chicks and died protecting his girls.

The one I got now, is awaiting the broomstick. There just really is no set of rules that if you get this kind, do this, don't do that you get a perfect rooster. It is a crap shoot.

Mrs K
Loved your comments. I think we're kindred spirits when it comes to roosters... hence, my user name.😄

Back
Top Bottom