Which chicken breeds make the best "pet" chickens?

Most of our chickens are friendly and will let us pick them up, but the only ones who will actually stay put in our laps once we let go of them, are the easter eggers.

19548_03-28-09_1431.jpg

My birds have been kind of funny, when chicks our Easter-Eggers were the tamest of them all, always wanted to perch on your arm and be petted. Lately our Gold Sexlinks that as chicks were never very touchy feely are the ones who like attention. Although we have one Easter-Egger that still loves attention and seems to think she is a parrot, not a chicken. Our two Silver laced Wyndottes consistantly seem to dislike being picked up or touched.

As Chickenaddict posted, Seramas are very friendly birds, good family birds. And the EE's are good as well. We have some bantam Modern Games as well and they seem to be very quiet gentle birds too. I am looking forward to a hatch of 2 Pyncheon bantams this Sunday. They are very rare breed you don't hear much about and are said to be very gentle, curious, small birds as well.
Spending time with the chicks and raising them by hand is the best way to ensure they will be as friendly as they can possibly be.

I have a few buffs n cochins and
they arnt too friendly they are from my flock and
hatched them in the bator.
But am waiting for my silkies
hatching eggs have heard they are the friendlyest..
hope so..

I'm no expert as these are my first chicks but all my chicks seem to love it when I sing to them! Maybe it's in the way you raise them? I have a silver-laced wyandotte (so smart, inquisitive, and responsive), a buff orpington (sweet but not the brightest bulb), a black australorp (very smart and independent of the other chicks), and two red cochin bantams. I think they are all going to be very friendly.

buff orpingtons are my pick. My 10 yearold daughter, and my young granchildren can walk up to them and pick them up

Quote:
Same here! Everyone warned me about hybrids being "nervous", and as a chick my Star lived up to that reputation, but as soon as she was out of the brooder she turned into the sweetest bird. She comes running when I call to her and loves to eat treats out of my hand while perched on my lap <3. And she follows my 2 year old daughter everywhere, which is too cute for words.

I just got some Brahmas and EEs for my first chicks ever, and they are VERY cuddly chicks! Like any chick, they ran when you tried to pick them up at first, but once you get them they fall asleep in your hands, on your arms, or in your lap. Precious!

Back
Top Bottom