Which chicken breeds make the best "pet" chickens?

My barred rocks were raised being handled daily and snuggled by my daughters. They run to us and pluck at our clothes until we pick them up- even struggle over available lap space. They LOVE to be held and petted, and are never happy to be left out of the backyard fun. Swinging on the big tree swing in a lap is the favorite past-time.

We're raising several other breeds of chicks now, the same way, and I would definitely say that with the exception of the Buttercups, which seem stand-offish no matter how much we handle and treat them, everyone looks as though they'll be as friendly.

I'll give them all the same love, anyway- they own us, not the other way around!!

Last edited:
I have several different breeds, but the only ones that seek out my attention are the silkies, to me they are just like parrots, they will run/fly to me and then jump on my shoulder, they never want me to leave them and always call for me
big_smile.png
All my other ones follow me around like puppy dogs, but they dont like for me to catch them. If I can figure out how to post a video, I have taken some video of my silkie hen flying to me and then jumping on my shoulder
tongue.png

I think this going to a "One man’s trash is another man’s treasure" kind of thing. Just as with all domesticated animals and some wild, it depends on how you raise and treat them as to what kind of pet they will be.

I think most, if not all chicken breeds will make good pets if you raise them that way. Of course there will always be some that are just wired wrong.

i have 6 different breeds.
birdie my barred rock has always been the friendliest. i have two young boys and she lets them pick her up. she will even jump up on my lap if i am out sitting in the yard.

now that my campine is laying...she always wants to be near me.

Yup completely true
For me its the silkies and Polish. I am small, my hands are small. So it easier for me to handle them. We are the dantie type
wink.png

Put enough time into something then it wouldnt really matter what type

Quote:

i worked with all of mine and handled all of them when they were chicks, but my ee and columbian wyandotte don't come to me much.
all my others do.

my rir is nice, but aggressive.

My favorite birds are my light brahmas and my speckled sussex. The best pet birds. They come as soon as they hear my voice and every night around 5 they come to the back door for their treats. Of course this is strickly my opinion and I do believe it is how they are raised. I have other breeds that I raised with these and they are not as friendly. Good Luck in selecting your breed.

We have many different breeds. Our EEs and sex links (mutts) are consistently the most friendly, even when not handled much as chicks. Every single one will stand there and wait to be picked up, even the boys. Generally speaking the rest of our birds will run a bit before letting you pick them up, even the ones "hand raised". Of course there are exceptions to that rule. Maybe it's a mutt thing. Genetically speaking when you make mutts the gene pool is larger so you end up with birds less prone to hereditary issues, which can include behavior/temperament. Just my $0.02
wink.png

I only have five, and they are chicks. I only got five because I wanted to have time to really handle them so that they would become pet-like. I handle all of mine several times daily. At least at this point, my plymouth rock and my buff orp are the friendliest; they seek out and enjoy being petted on. My australorp does okay with being handled (could give or take), but my gold laced wyandotte and my easter egger act as if I'm torturing them when I hold them and pet them (although they'll eat from my hand and roost on me as long as I'm not holding them). Who knows how it'll be a few weeks from now, as they're only two weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom