Which chickens made these colors!?

andham

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013

Alright, I have five layers. Two Leghorns, two barred rocks, and one Easter Egger. I have had a few brown eggs, lots of white eggs and one green and one blue. Do I have a BR laying a green or olive egg?

Where did you get your chickens from? Leghorns lay white, barred rock lay brown. EE lay blue or green, but from my understanding, each EE will lay a distinctive color which will not change. Are your BR and Leghorns from a hatchery, or from someone's back yard flock in which case they could be "mutts" thus producing the extra green or blue egg. No matter where they came from and what color the eggs are, they're beautiful eggs and will taste great, and I'm sure your chickens are equally beautiful. If anyone has experience which refutes my statement re: EE color, please speak up!!

Mine are from a hatchery. Both Leghorns are laying huge white eggs and started early. The others are just getting going in the last two weeks or so. My understanding is the one EE should be consistent in her egg color so I wonder about the olive and blue egg.

I need a nest cam...

I think your EE pullet is just getting the hang of laying and that she layed both the blue and green egg. My EE hen once layed an egg that was half bluish, half green.

Back
Top Bottom