Which chicks do we add to our backyard flock?

The Speckled Sussex are the biggest bullies right now 🤣

Do your BCMs stick together? Are they more reserved hens? These 3 are thick as thieves, and I feel bad separating them… they are always together.

Do you know what your OEs are crossed between?
Omg my Speckled Sussex is so mild! She is smart enough to avoid the girls who are more food agressive, and is super curious and such a love bug! 😂 Funny how different personalities can be! I am a sucker for different color eggs, so at least One legbar, Marans & Olive Egger would be must-keeps for me. My OE is a cross between Welsummer & Easter Egger. She hasn’t laid yet, so I have no idea what her eggs will look like. She is a spitting image of my Welsummer, but with a modified pea comb. Honestly just keep the ones you think are friendliest. I love having a chicken on my lap when I sit outside! 😊 My BCM is best buddies with my Blue Marans, who is one of my faves as well.

Honestly just for the love of chickens.. as pets. The eggs are a nice bonus, but even with our 5 hens, we give eggs away to neighbors and family. I think looking for the most friendly and compatible with each other really.

I think then that you should do just that, sit with your flock a few times and just observe them, look for the ones that get along best with one another, the ones who are personable with you and your family and don't cause too much drama among the other birds. Depending on how soon you need to cut down your numbers, I'd give them a bit more time to mature before making too many final decisions on that, personally.

Based on my experiences with the breeds you have, though, Brahmas tend to be solid, easy-going birds, and Legbars are definitely energetic, but fun to have around, especially if you have a lot of room for them or can free-range them so they can get that energy out. My Marans and Sussex were all a bit bossy in the flock, but not too bad. The Marans, especially, are so nosy and always in my business when I'm out there, but not necessarily in a bad way. 🤭 Olive-eggers are a bit harder to gauge because a lot of their temperament can depend on the parent breeds used to make them, so you'll have to be the judge on them, I suspect.

I think then that you should do just that, sit with your flock a few times and just observe them, look for the ones that get along best with one another, the ones who are personable with you and your family and don't cause too much drama among the other birds. Depending on how soon you need to cut down your numbers, I'd give them a bit more time to mature before making too many final decisions on that, personally.

Based on my experiences with the breeds you have, though, Brahmas tend to be solid, easy-going birds, and Legbars are definitely energetic, but fun to have around, especially if you have a lot of room for them or can free-range them so they can get that energy out. My Marans and Sussex were all a bit bossy in the flock, but not too bad. The Marans, especially, are so nosy and always in my business when I'm out there, but not necessarily in a bad way. 🤭 Olive-eggers are a bit harder to gauge because a lot of their temperament can depend on the parent breeds used to make them, so you'll have to be the judge on them, I suspect.
Thank you for your input! My Barred Rock hen is the most nosy chicken ever, I love her. One of the Sussex’s really grew on me today. So I think that’s one for sure keeper!

Cream legbars for best blue eggs and a few Brahma for best winter laying. That makes 5 if you get rid of the Buff Brahma. Fill in the rest with Copper Marans in hopes you get dark eggs. Would make for a good looking egg basket.

Back
Top Bottom