Which Chicks to Get?

Hufflefluff

Songster
Apr 28, 2015
Northeast CO
(Not sure if this should have gone in the breeds forum, but since it's not about one breed specifically...)

I was so sure I wasn't going to get chicks this year.
And then I went to Murdoch's.

Well, after giving away three of my hens to a friend of mine, I've cleared up space in my flock for three new babies! (Or maybe 4, for insurance...) I have a list of breeds that are available the week I'm going, and I wanted to hear some advice about which breeds to get- since right now, I desperately want one of each :gig

So... these are the breeds I'm considering. My current flock is mixed- 2 EEs, a blue cochin, a buff brahma, and a speckled sussex. Thoughts?

- Buff Lace Polish (I love the way they look! But I'm worried they're a little to flighty...)
- Cream Legbar (I love these, and I love blue eggs, but I'm not sure what their temperament is like)
- Gold Sex Link (I loved the sex link I had a few years ago, and I could use a great layer)
- Giant Blue Cochin
- Partridge Cochin (I love these! Cochins are some of my favorites)
- Welsummer (Pretty, and I gave away my Marans, so I could use a dark egg layer)
- Buff Orpington (Love these! But maybe a bit too similar to my Buff Brahma from a distance)
- Bantams- my favorites, but my family doesn't love them. I was thinking maybe 1/2 standards and 2/3 bantams, which are unsexed, to end up with 3 hens overall. But probably wishful thinking :)

Edit- or do I go tomorrow? Dark and Light Brahmas, Sliver Lace Cochin, Red Star, Brown Leghorn, Silver Gray Dorkings...decisions, decisions!

I'd love to hear your perspective about any of these breeds! I'm so excited- look for chick pictures from me on the 18th :)

Last edited:
If you're thinking polish or bantams, I'd do all chicks of the same size, instead of hoping one tiny bird can stand up to all the standard/large birds you have.

Otherwise I like to mix and match breeds, so if I were in your shoes I'd probably make my choices based on whatever feather colors I don't have. :lol:

How confident are you that they will be female or does that matter to you?

Is your Cochin bantam or full sized? If all your current ones are full sized I'd just get full sized. It's not that you are guaranteed problems if you add bantams to a full sized flock but your life might be a bit easier if you stick with full sized. If you already have a bantam don't worry about it. In general, try to keep it simple.

I would not worry about temperament. Breeds may have tendencies but you have to have enough for averages to mean something. If you just get one or two that's not enough.

Write all the breeds you want on pieces of paper, fold them and put them in a shoe box or something like that, and draw out three or four. That's what you get. It's as good a way as any.

(Not sure if this should have gone in the breeds forum, but since it's not about one breed specifically...)

I was so sure I wasn't going to get chicks this year.
And then I went to Murdoch's.

Well, after giving away three of my hens to a friend of mine, I've cleared up space in my flock for three new babies! (Or maybe 4, for insurance...) I have a list of breeds that are available the week I'm going, and I wanted to hear some advice about which breeds to get- since right now, I desperately want one of each :gig

So... these are the breeds I'm considering. My current flock is mixed- 2 EEs, a blue cochin, a buff brahma, and a speckled sussex. Thoughts?

- Buff Lace Polish (I love the way they look! But I'm worried they're a little to flighty...)
- Cream Legbar (I love these, and I love blue eggs, but I'm not sure what their temperament is like)
- Gold Sex Link (I loved the sex link I had a few years ago, and I could use a great layer)
- Giant Blue Cochin
- Partridge Cochin (I love these! Cochins are some of my favorites)
- Welsummer (Pretty, and I gave away my Marans, so I could use a dark egg layer)
- Buff Orpington (Love these! But maybe a bit too similar to my Buff Brahma from a distance)
- Bantams- my favorites, but my family doesn't love them. I was thinking maybe 1/2 standards and 2/3 bantams, which are unsexed, to end up with 3 hens overall. But probably wishful thinking :)

Edit- or do I go tomorrow? Dark and Light Brahmas, Sliver Lace Cochin, Red Star, Brown Leghorn, Silver Gray Dorkings...decisions, decisions!

I'd love to hear your perspective about any of these breeds! I'm so excited- look for chick pictures from me on the 18th :)
Man, I'd jump a pew to get a cream legbar or two! I sell eggs and people just LOVE the mixed colors, and my easter eggers are not the greatest layers though they are friendly and calm. I'd also like a welsummer for the darker eggs. I have buff orpingtons (you can never get them mixed up with Brahmas, they are different colors and sizes) and they are fabulous layers, friendly and calm. They are one of two breeds that let me pick them up. The Speckled Sussex lets me pick her up too. All the chickens follow me around, but Sadie the SS acts like a puppy. If I don't pay attention she will follow me right through the gate and up the stairs! They were raised normal, not picked up all the time, but are very tame anyway. I steer away from bantams, very pretty but what would you do with tiny eggs? Oh, so much fun to choose! Lucky you! 😄

Back
Top Bottom