Which Drake Goes to Duck Jail?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I have two drakes who have lived together fairly peacefully for almost two years. They squabble from time to time, but they get over it. One is certainly more dominant than the other. Today, out of the blue, I went outside and the less dominant one had the more dominant one pinned down. They’ve been fighting ever since. I carried each one around with me for a while, thinking it would work like roosters, teaching them that I am actually the boss, but it didn’t. 🤣 So, I’m wondering if I should let them fight it out (which I’ve done in the past) or separate one into a dog crate for a bit. And if I do, which one do I separate? The less dominant one is the current instigator. And would I leave the crate in the pen?

And before anyone asks, I only have two hens with them, and they pair up, and it’s been fine. My plan is to add more girls in the spring, and possibly build a separate pen, but the ground is currently too frozen for that. So, I can’t do those things right this second.

Sometimes I know separating them for a bit and then putting them back can make things worse, but you might need to for a bit if it’s bad enough. Personally I would separate the one that attacked the other one of you serisiuly needed to separate one of them out, but that’s just how I do it.

Sometimes I know separating them for a bit and then putting them back can make things worse, but you might need to for a bit if it’s bad enough. Personally I would separate the one that attacked the other one of you serisiuly needed to separate one of them out, but that’s just how I do it.
Thanks. They have calmed down a little but are still going at it half-heartedly, and the more dominant one is keeping his distance from the flock. I just remembered they did this a couple of months ago but got over it after a couple of days. But it was the dominant one going after the less dominant one. So far, there are no injuries. Just ruffled feathers. I may just have to let them sort it out for if separation can make it worse. Of course, I will separate if it gets to the point where they are seriously hurting each other.

They’re still at it today but more chasing than actual fighting. I have them out free ranging now, and the less dominant one who started it all is with the hens, and the more dominant one who must have been knocked down on the pecking order is keeping a good 15-20 foot distance from them but staying around them. His “girlfriend” keeps trying to go up to him or flirt with him, but that sets the bully off. I’m trying to let them have extra time out of the pen, but hawks are an issue today. Still no injuries, so I guess I’ll have to continue to let them sort it out. I just feel so bad for my big guy who has always been kind of the leader of the pack. He does not want to go back into the pen.

If it continues, you might want to look into separating them. The main problem is that you do not have enough females, but I understand that it’s not possible to do everything all at once. You may have to keep them separated for a while until you can get more females.

If it continues, you might want to look into separating them. The main problem is that you do not have enough females, but I understand that it’s not possible to do everything all at once. You may have to keep them separated for a while until you can get more females.
I'm going to give them another day or so, and I may end up putting the aggressor in a dog crate inside the pen, or actually, I've got a 5x5 dog kennel with hardware cloth around it (I had to use it to separate some roosters last year). I might could drag in there for him, so he's still safe in the pen but can't hurt anyone. I have a third drake who is already separated, and I was going to start building him a new pen next week (he is currently a house duck), but it looks like I may have to build two small ones.

I'm going to give them another day or so, and I may end up putting the aggressor in a dog crate inside the pen, or actually, I've got a 5x5 dog kennel with hardware cloth around it (I had to use it to separate some roosters last year). I might could drag in there for him, so he's still safe in the pen but can't hurt anyone. I have a third drake who is already separated, and I was going to start building him a new pen next week (he is currently a house duck), but it looks like I may have to build two small ones.
I also know of several people doing drake flocks. From what I’ve heard/seen it seems to work out ok since there are no females with them, but I personally have never tried it. You could try putting the aggressor in with the drake who was a house duck. But you obviously know your ducks best so do what you think they would do best in.

I also know of several people doing drake flocks. From what I’ve heard/seen it seems to work out ok since there are no females with them, but I personally have never tried it. You could try putting the aggressor in with the drake who was a house duck. But you obviously know your ducks best so do what you think they would do best in.
I may end up trying that. They’re a little calmer today. There is still some chasing and hiding, but no real battles or wounds. The aggressor actually let the other one get into the pool with his girl, so I think it’s cooling down a bit. I’m not getting the new girls until March, so I hope we can stay calm for a few more months. 🤞🏻

Not sure if you can see them all here in the leaves, but they were foraging happily today as if nothing ever happened. 🙄 There was a little chasing when I put them back into their pen, but they seem to have an understanding worked out. 🤷🏻‍♀️

3CF0790A-3A16-4F0F-85CB-457568889548.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom