Which incubator to buy?

barlowchiro

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
North of Pittsburgh
I am returning my Jano8-48. The egg turner doesn't work and it sounds like people are having trouble with that model's egg turner.

I would like one with an automatic egg turner and hold at least 24 eggs.

What do you guys suggest?

I have a hovabator 1588 that Ive never had issues with. I just bought a Brinsea that should arrive tomorrow. They are currently on sale. I guess it just depends on your budget.

Hovabators always work for us as well! Getting one with a fan is always helpful too! Great luck in finding what you need:)

I would suggest that whichever you choose, you get a model with a fan (circulated air), a good thermostat and a good hygrometer. If you have to buy a good thermostat and hygrometer separately I would recommend you do so. It makes life much easier and stress free.

Thinking of getting the Hova Bator 1622A

http://brookfieldpoultryequipment.com/products.php?id=340&r=50

I am just concerned about the foam construction. Would rather a molded plastic, but oh well.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380121058385?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

This is the one that I am considering. I love the "picture window"

I kind of like my styro, I'd like it better though if it held steady better (little giant). I've had wonderful hatches in it, but babysit like a hawk in order to get those good hatches. Hova bators have pretty good reviews for being styro and you can find decent prices on them. They also carry the turners you can add (I think they are usually $40-$50).

I did a lot of research before purchasing my incubator. (I'm a newbie & already addicted). And the brand Brinsea has a really good reputation. The model I bought only holds 10 eggs because I'm starting small but I would read reviews on amazon if you can. They are pretty insightful.

I did a lot of research before purchasing my incubator. (I'm a newbie & already addicted). And the brand Brinsea has a really good reputation. The model I bought only holds 10 eggs because I'm starting small but I would read reviews on amazon if you can. They are pretty insightful.
Brinseas are the best. Hands down. Unfortunetly, they have a price tag that reflects that. The minis are in higher priced than a decent styro w/fan. The styros are more work and worry, but if you can figure out how to have successful hatches in them they are bigger bang for the buck in quantity.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the informative replies!

I just ordered the Hova Bator 1588 w/ auto egg turner.

After reading multiple reviews online, I settled on this one. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Now to order some hatching eggs!

Thanks for all of the informative replies!

I just ordered the Hova Bator 1588 w/ auto egg turner.

After reading multiple reviews online, I settled on this one. Seems to be the best bang for the buck.

Now to order some hatching eggs!
Have you considered getting some local eggs to test out with first? Local are much easier to hatch and generally have better hatch rates. Not that you can't have good hatch rates with shipped eggs. I just hate to see people spend money on shipped eggs for first time hatchers or using new equiptment and have them not have decent hatches. Just something to consider.

Back
Top Bottom