Which style of coop to build?

Shandina

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 25, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
I had a 12x8 old shed that was my chicken coop before. But sadly I had to give my flock away because it had such a rotten roof raccoons kept getting in and killing them. At the time I didn't have the money to fix it up and it was the middle of winter. Now I have to decide to fix the rotten shed, or build new. This time I only want 5 or 6 chickens max because I found over that smount I never got much time to spend with them and can care for them easier with less. What kind of coop do you recommend? If you have pictures of what you liked that be awesome to see too.

I don't know to build a walk in coop again or have a small one up off the ground.

Which is easier to clean? Pros and cons of each style.
I found my shed too big it took quite a bit of shavings and a bit to clean fully out. So I rather something smaller than the 12x8 I had. Just unsure of which style to go with. Advice?

Have a look at the Woods style coop. Sizes can range from 6' by 10' to 8' by 12' to 10' by 16'.

These are fresh air coops particularly well suited to Canadian climates.

I have the 10' by 16', just finished my 4th winter and am very satisfied. The 6' by 10' will suit your described requirements quite well.

These are walk in coops and can either sit on the ground or be elevated. If you use drop boards with deep bedding and pick up on a regular basis you will only need to clean the floor once per year and that because of dust build up not because of droppings or smell.

Happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:
I had a 12x8 old shed that was my chicken coop before. But sadly I had to give my flock away because it had such a rotten roof raccoons kept getting in and killing them. At the time I didn't have the money to fix it up and it was the middle of winter. Now I have to decide to fix the rotten shed, or build new. This time I only want 5 or 6 chickens max because I found over that smount I never got much time to spend with them and can care for them easier with less. What kind of coop do you recommend? If you have pictures of what you liked that be awesome to see too.

I don't know to build a walk in coop again or have a small one up off the ground.

Which is easier to clean? Pros and cons of each style.
I found my shed too big it took quite a bit of shavings and a bit to clean fully out. So I rather something smaller than the 12x8 I had. Just unsure of which style to go with. Advice?
I'm looking at an elevated coop for my next build, easier to clean for me, no bending down, will only have 8 birds, 5 x 10, will provide support for metal frame during snow, I know 4 x 8 would be a less wasteful build, but not large enough in case of chicken math.

I'm looking at an elevated coop for my next build, easier to clean for me, no bending down, will only have 8 birds, 5 x 10, will provide support for metal frame during snow, I know 4 x 8 would be a less wasteful build, but not large enough in case of chicken math.
Using metal run, live near Chincoteague, Va, zone 8, but we do get 12 to 18 inches of snow some years.

Can we see pics of the old coop to help see if it is worth repairing?

If it can be repaired I would do that and section off a 6x8 to use as the coop and the rest can still be storage.

Can we see pics of the old coop to help see if it is worth repairing?

If it can be repaired I would do that and section off a 6x8 to use as the coop and the rest can still be storage.
"Old coop" is one of those little cheesy coops that would be fine for 1 dual purpose hen, tried to let chicken math get to me, but came to my senses this week!!! Spent $$$ on 10 x 20 metal run then had to order 12 inch ground staples, 100 ft of half inch hardware cloth, metal zipties, and bird netting. Already have shade cloth and coop for "8" chickens, just have to free it from the brambles. Hardware cloth should be here tomorrow, so should be able to get everything preditor proof before June 18, when we leave for 8 days. Can't think beyond that. If I could get 2 or 3 chicks after that, maybe, maybe will wait. Having to get 4 chick min locally throws me off, don't want to put 8 birds in that coop, and think I have spent enough this year on "free eggs" LOL

Back
Top Bottom