Which to purchase: Tylan 50 or Tylan 200?

Scifisarah

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Rockford MI
My Coop
My Coop
I would like to keep Tylan on hand in case any of my birds have sudden respiratory infections or other problems. My supply of Tylan 50 just expired, so I need to buy another bottle. I plan on administering by injection if anything comes up. I keep bantam cochins, so nothing very large. Should I just get the cheaper Tylan 50 again, or are there benefits of getting the 200 more concentrated version?

Last edited:
The only benifit I can see in using the 200 is that you would inject less of it, which is easier on the bird.
  • 1ml of the 50 (50mg Tylosin per 1ml) = .25ml of the 200 (200mg Tylosin per 1ml)
  • ml = cc

-Kathy

It's very much like otc 200mg ibuprofen and prescription 800mg Motrin, 4 of one equals one of the other.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I think you would have a hard time giving 0.625 of an ml. It is hard enough to give 0.1 ml. 1/2 ml shot is nothing in a large fowl, so i would think 1/4 in a bantam wouldn't be a big deal. Some give it in the breast muscle, and others give it subcutaneously (under the skin) in the back of the neck.

I think you would have a hard time giving 0.625 of an ml. It is hard enough to give 0.1 ml. 1/2 ml shot is nothing in a large fowl, so i would think 1/4 in a bantam wouldn't be a big deal. Some give it in the breast muscle, and others give it subcutaneously (under the skin) in the back of the neck.

Yes it seems like it would be difficult to measure 0.0625 ml precisely and make sure that small of an amount ends up where it is supposed to go. I'll stick to the Tylan 50. I guess I was just curious as to why anyone uses the Tylan 200 for poultry (I have heard of several that do and I've seen it for sale at shows) and supposed there must be some benefit but perhaps not.

Back
Top Bottom