White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
I like the looks of both, the dark has beautiful coloring and can really shine in the light, but the white stands out in the yard and just looks regal. I'm likely going to keep both dark and white, I just want to focus on the white for the cleaner carcass.

Yes Bill, I'm still a novice with the genetics but I understand the overall principal. I just wasn't sure how to begin, and you gave me the recipe. What would happen if I put the DC roo over WC pullet? Does the WC roo only carry the dominant white gene? If so, could I breed my DC roo over a WC pullet to add a third bloodline to my DC flock?

My goal for this flock is to add a third bloodline while still maintaining the white coloration, whether still being called a "White Cornish" or just "Cornish that is white".
Here is my thought on how to begin: ("A-R" = Pen A, roo)
upload_2017-5-31_9-42-12.png

This is under the assumption that the WC chicks are indeed Roo, Hen and Roo respectively. You may also see that, should that happen, gens 2 and 3 for the pure whites will be a bit funky, but still gets us to the same place in the end. After the 3rd gen, the B-roo would start off and spiral through C, their offspring would produce 3 hens and a roo; that roo would mate with A-hen, their offspring would produce 3 hens and a roo; and keep going. That is under the assumption that the hens will continue to lay for 3 years, or the hope that I can get 2 seasons out of them a year (I'm in FL, my DC and all other hens lay year round).

Last edited:
Hey Matt, I used my cockerel over your pullet as a example man. It matters not which way you go for the genetics. But if you use a white cockerel over a dark hen, it will be easy use him to cover four or five of the off spring for the next generation. You won't be able to tell which of the chicks are actually splits. So hypothetically, in simple numbers, if you use your chosen white cockerel to cover 4 of his dark daughters. And then set 4 eggs from each daughter. You could expect 4 white chicks out of the 16.

And then "up pop's the devil!" Trying to figure out poultry genetics is a multi billion dollar industry. You can come close with the calculators. But unfortunately we still don't have a clue on how all the different gene combinations will be expressed over time. We get it right,then it all goes south.

Lol. l just had a mutt chick hatch like two weeks ago(first egg hatched! and under a broody too), the chick has the regular dominance, co-dominance, and incomplete dominance!:confused: Sadly my first hatched chick is most likely a roo, will be dinner one day; and l had already named him alpha!:hit(lets see who can guess why: hint, look at the end of the new testament)

Yes but not really unless we are talking over a very long period of time. The Punnet square addresses the probability of what each independent fertilization event could produce. Breeding split with split there is a 25% probability it could be LL, 50% probability Ll and 25% ll. The probabilities from the Punnet square can really only be applied when a large number of fertilization events occur simultaneously from one coupling. Each egg in a clutch has only a 1 in 4 chances of being white. There is no statistical relationship between each egg.

Hey Matt, I used my cockerel over your pullet as a example man. It matters not which way you go for the genetics. But if you use a white cockerel over a dark hen, it will be easy use him to cover four or five of the off spring for the next generation. You won't be able to tell which of the chicks are actually splits. So hypothetically, in simple numbers, if you use your chosen white cockerel to cover 4 of his dark daughters. And then set 4 eggs from each daughter. You could expect 4 white chicks out of the 16.

Back
Top Bottom