White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
I had 9 chicks hatch from my broody girls. A high percentage of the eggs were not fertile. of the 9 that hatched. One was killed by one of her aunts. Two just disappeared completely. 6 are doing very well and seem to have blended with with the others.
Disappeared :confused: Snakes?

Doubtful on a snake with a broody. Snakes go after easy meals. A protective mothe rhen doesn't make it easy most times.
Likely the chickens killed and ate them.

I have a lot of trouble with raptors and stray cats. The littles can skinny thru the wire and momma can't defend them....

That's kind of sad, I am now going to be allowing my hens to hatch their eggs, have already done it and hatched five total. And I can't wait for spring. I have had 3 hens that have successfully hatched 1 went broody but a late winter storm killed the eggs, and almost killed all the eggs for the other one. After that I have only had up to two eggs not hatch in a clutch.

Your chicks should do ok with the rest of the flock because mamma will chase the others away from her chicks and, with mine at least, the older hens pretty much ignore them after a little while; until they get old enough to learn the pecking order.

Doubtful on a snake with a broody. Snakes go after easy meals. A protective mothe rhen doesn't make it easy most times.
Likely the chickens killed and ate them.
It happens.
@campingshaws has many first hand experiences with snakes/chicks and broodys.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever thought of getting cornish x and breeding them to see what you get? And then to keep breeding them until you get something that breeds true? I have thought of it and think that it would be a fun project and wonder if anyone has tried it yet, or even thought about it.

Has anyone ever thought of getting cornish x and breeding them to see what you get? And then to keep breeding them until you get something that breeds true? I have thought of it and think that it would be a fun project and wonder if anyone has tried it yet, or even thought about it.
Would they survive long enough to do so?

Would they survive long enough to do so?
I kept back a small CX hen last year, she lasted almost a yr
terrible layer, I have 3 cockerel and 1 pullet from her and my mix roo
have a bunch of her grandchildren , mine were not fast growers except for a couple. May start processing some this weekend
several people are crossing them with Rangers or heritage breeds trying to get a better meat bird... most are having better success than I..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/toad-raising.1152440/
www.backyardchickens.com/threads/first-run-of-cornish-cross-meat-birds-and-super-excited.896158/

I kept back a small CX hen last year, she lasted almost a yr
terrible layer, I have 3 cockerel and 1 pullet from her and my mix roo
have a bunch of her grandchildren , mine were not fast growers except for a couple. May start processing some this weekend
several people are crossing them with Rangers or heritage breeds trying to get a better meat bird... most are having better success than I..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/toad-raising.1152440/
www.backyardchickens.com/threads/first-run-of-cornish-cross-meat-birds-and-super-excited.896158/
Thanks..
i familiar with Ralphie's toads.

But I was wondering if just "plain regular" CX could live long enough to breed on their own...not with mixing them with other breeds.

Is that possible?

Back
Top Bottom