White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
I ship eggs and chicks in spring after I have satisfied my needs however until the P/T antigen shortage is resolved I'm not promising anything outside the state of Texas.

Just curious, what is an NN project.
Naked Neck/Turken. I have heard from the "oldguard" that back in the '70's and such they used to be huge meat birds. But they've become ornamentals and shrunk to a useless size. I'm trying to build back up a respectable dual purpose ranger type. I've already got really good size, with cocks rivaling hatchery quality Jersey Giants, and I'm crossing Bresse in for meat quality. But they could use a gene that will help them fill out faster, naturally. They're kinda just big basketball players right now and they don't need to be that tall. Here's my splash cockerel. I just hatched out his first cross with the Bresse hens.
0830181037e.jpg

Naked Neck/Turken. I have heard from the "oldguard" that back in the '70's and such they used to be huge meat birds. But they've become ornamentals and shrunk to a useless size. I'm trying to build back up a respectable dual purpose ranger type. I've already got really good size, with cocks rivaling hatchery quality Jersey Giants, and I'm crossing Bresse in for meat quality. But they could use a gene that will help them fill out faster, naturally. They're kinda just big basketball players right now and they don't need to be that tall. Here's my splash cockerel. I just hatched out his first cross with the Bresse hens.View attachment 1558816

Lol. I'm fairly certain anyone who has raised any LFW Cornish will tell you they don't carry genes to help them fill out faster. They are considered by most to be slow if not painfully slow growing.

I raise to the SOP and enjoy shows for the social aspect. This cockerel will be six months old at the end of this month. He has been fed a premium diet of 20% lay pellets supplemented with 32% catfish chow to get this large so quickly. They eat A LOT and grow slowly.
IMAG0469.jpg

Working to a better Cornish. I'm far from being an expert. There are Cornish people who have forgotten more than I will probably ever know. I dont disagree that high quality mated to high quality will have a better chance of producing high quality offspring. However at the end of the day there will still be many more culls to eat than ones to put in Tue breeding pen.

I hatched over 60 eggs this year. Lost about a dozen through the year but to get this one quality rooster and two reserves
IMAG0469.jpg

I will have to send this many cockerels to freezer camp this weekend.
IMAG0481.jpg

There are an additional 4 that needs that ticket but somehow escaped my efforts to catch them.

In spite of how much may paid for them, how many first places they may have one I do not think you can hatch a handful or two of eggs and get the necessary genetics to improve your flock and breeding. Its a numbers game. The more a breeder hatches and eats the higher probability will be that the great rooster or hen will.show up.

Hatch a lot, eat a lot.and only save a very few best.

Lol. I'm fairly certain anyone who has raised any LFW Cornish will tell you they don't carry genes to help them fill out faster. They are considered by most to be slow if not painfully slow growing.

I raise to the SOP and enjoy shows for the social aspect. This cockerel will be six months old at the end of this month. He has been fed a premium diet of 20% lay pellets supplemented with 32% catfish chow to get this large so quickly. They eat A LOT and grow slowly. View attachment 1558942
Well... haha! Six months is already about the age I process my crosses... So you may have a point there... :p

Working to a better Cornish. I'm far from being an expert. There are Cornish people who have forgotten more than I will probably ever know. I dont disagree that high quality mated to high quality will have a better chance of producing high quality offspring. However at the end of the day there will still be many more culls to eat than ones to put in Tue breeding pen.

I hatched over 60 eggs this year. Lost about a dozen through the year but to get this one quality rooster and two reserves
View attachment 1559270

I will have to send this many cockerels to freezer camp this weekend.
View attachment 1559274
There are an additional 4 that needs that ticket but somehow escaped my efforts to catch them.

In spite of how much may paid for them, how many first places they may have one I do not think you can hatch a handful or two of eggs and get the necessary genetics to improve your flock and breeding. Its a numbers game. The more a breeder hatches and eats the higher probability will be that the great rooster or hen will.show up.

Hatch a lot, eat a lot.and only save a very few best.
Not quite sure if I’m catching the folded wing look. Here’s a picture of the backs on mine. Hoping it will show you enough to know either way. This seems to be their normal stance. Also the tail on the one in front curls down to ground or close to it. Good or bad?
B5706366-6E1B-4C8B-8356-A7327B44E8E5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom