White Cornish: Building a Quality, Sustainable Flock for Meat and More.....

Pics
How large is the difference between the white Cornish and the dark Cornish? I have a line on some dark, but was hoping to find white...

How large is the difference between the white Cornish and the dark Cornish? I have a line on some dark, but was hoping to find white...
They are the same thing, just different colors. Of course, the separation of the colors will make differences in any breed at times, but that usually depends on the line and the breeding techniques.

The main reason white is preferred is because 1) they are more rare and 2) the carcass plucks more cleanly because of the white feathering.

I love my darks. However for some reason I get more hens than roosters and both roosters have died. Both the white and dark hens seem to be about the same size.

Thanks!

They are the same thing, just different colors. Of course, the separation of the colors will make differences in any breed at times, but that usually depends on the line and the breeding techniques.

The main reason white is preferred is because 1) they are more rare and 2) the carcass plucks more cleanly because of the white feathering.

I am interested in the white feathering, because our plant charges extra for colored birds. I’ve seen quite a bit of variation in carcass size in other birds, sometimes seemingly linked to color differences, and just wanted to be sure!

I’m glad to hear the differences are minor, so if I try some dark Cornish and like their qualities, I could start searching for the whites! I’m a little leery as there are some heavy regulations around the numbers of “commercial broilers” CX you can have here, and I would like to avoid any problems or mistaken identity there.

Thanks!

I am interested in the white feathering, because our plant charges extra for colored birds. I’ve seen quite a bit of variation in carcass size in other birds, sometimes seemingly linked to color differences, and just wanted to be sure!

I’m glad to hear the differences are minor, so if I try some dark Cornish and like their qualities, I could start searching for the whites! I’m a little leery as there are some heavy regulations around the numbers of “commercial broilers” CX you can have here, and I would like to avoid any problems or mistaken identity there.
The combs are not single comb in Cornish.. the CX are single comb so it should be obvious to someone who knows chickens

It's very hard to find Cornish around here,. And whites are the hardest...so grab whatever you can find is my advice

They are three times more expensive than the other chicks! And have a month longer wait time... I’m going to begin my meat experiments with RR’s and then look into the other lines, but I did already try to get the dark Cornish... chickens are going to make me go broke! But I’ll be happy and well fed at least...

Thanks!

I’m not sure if it’s their up bringing but my darks are very friendly the whites are ok but the darks are under your feet especially when it’s feed time or if they think it’s feed time. No rooster to judge the darks though.

They are three times more expensive than the other chicks! And have a month longer wait time... I’m going to begin my meat experiments with RR’s and then look into the other lines, but I did already try to get the dark Cornish... chickens are going to make me go broke! But I’ll be happy and well fed at least...
I don’t have any experience with RRs I’ve considered trying them out. I’ve heard they are about half way between a CX and a DP bird as far as How filled out the carcass is. I’ve found that my Darks have a LOT more meat in the legs and thighs than even a CX.

Back
Top Bottom