White doves/ Update /or are they pigeons??????new pics!

Quote:
Dear Judy,
Sorry. ive been offline for 2 days, anyhow Ive got a beautiful name but i cant tell you untill the website and names are official.
Ill pm you.
So Ive learned alot in the last couple of days, I found a book on them and an army pigeon training manual from ww1 online!
So before you let them go too far try and band them. The female band on left leg and male band on right leg. Try and write your ph number on them just in case.
Better rush, Ive nearly finished the flight for them, its huge, ill post pics soon.
Oakman, thanks for the info. I need all the hints I can get. Has anyone had problems with rafter ratsat night?? ive blocked off the rafter access to the roost just in case.
Thannks
Helen

I would love to see pictures of your birds! They sound very pretty!

I wouldn't release them though. Doves will not return like Pigeons. I had one get loose on me and it flew away and never wanted to come down. He stuck around the area and the only way I caught him three months later is when he went into my barn for food. I've had friend who let them go and they naver came back :-( Typically it's the white racer pigeons that are used for weddings and parties, because they will fly right back home. Doves will just kind of fly away!

Good luck naming your dove business! The name of our farm is "Pure Country Acres". My dad came up with it, but I would have a lot of trouble naming something like a farm!

You could try naming your business something like "Fantail Flyovers" or "Fantastic Fantails". Maybe something that lets people know what you do. I think its great that you've found a way to make money with your hobby.
smile.png

Quote:
Sorry Darl, ive been very busy out the back and my internet was off for a few days!!

Guess what: they are in fact Pigeons, fantail pigeons!!
Im still learning about them, they look like a classical dove with the fantail however they do look different to the dove!!! so they should fly well.
Im meeting up with a racer man tommorrow for some homing hints.
The parents of my birds are great flyers and travel far judging by the comments from neighbours of his!
Well, they will be tested before I advertise!!!!
Thanks, ill get pics on tommorrow, promise!!

I had a feeling they were pigeons! They are still georgous anyhow!

Those can definitely be released around your yard, but their homing instinct is not like a racing homer. They will most likely not fly all the back to your property depending on how far you take them. They also aren't very good flyers with their large tails and make easy prey for hawks, etc. If you are looking to do wedding releases, then look into getting some white homers. The offspring of those you will be able to release and they will fly right back home. They are also relatively cheap. It's definitely a fun project though! They are also a lot less messy than chickens.

A good idea I saw was getting a fancy white cage that would make a nice center piece for a wedding and advertising that to be put on display. The website I looked at charged like $100 or something like that. I think the fantails would be much better suited for that than for their homing ability.

Haha, I guess I should also mention that you would put the birds in the cage! LOL, the website showed two white fantails in the cage.

When advertising, you don't have to say they are pigeons though. you could call them white doves and no body will know the difference.

Back
Top Bottom