White feathers , black neck. Mixed breed..?

enruiwe

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
11898045951254l.jpg

11843594540873l.jpg

She is very sick... i tought she was dying..
DSC00007.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

No more illness !!!
big_smile.png

DSC00098.jpg

My chicken is alive and standing now... thanks to those who replied.

Also.. i would like to know more about you guys' opinion on the genetic make up of this hen. thanks

Possible Mix : Silver Spangled Hamburg, Columbian Wyandotte, Japanese bantam

Last edited:
It doesn't look like a delaware much to me. Her body looks slimmer than the deeper bodies of the birds in those picture on Cackle's website, and her leg coloring is darker, not yellow like the pictures indicate. I could be wrong of course, not really very knowledgeable on different breeds, at least not as much as a lot of other people on here. Here is another link to more pictures of Delawares- http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Dels/BRKDelawares.html
She
is gorgeous, whatever she is!

Last edited:
I don't think the comb or the body shape are right for a Delaware. Delaware's are pretty big girls with large combs. Also, the Delaware has yellow shanks and the Silver Lakenvelder has grey. So, I think she looks more like a Silver Lakenvelder than a Delaware.

Here is a picture of Fran, our Delaware, and Martha, our Silver Lakenvelder, taken last week-end. They are 9 months old. You can see how much bigger Fran is than Martha. The girl lazing in the sun is Grace, our Auraucana/Americana.

A better picture of Fran, our Delaware.

A better picture of Martha, our Silver Lakenvelder.

Hi, Wow, let me first say she is beautiful!!! I believe her to be a Columbian Wyandotte hen. Check out the Mcmurrayhatchery website underwyandottes and you will find her
wink.png
I hope she is still doing well.
Juliechickens

Well, she looks like a bantam to me. She is not a Delaware or a Wyandotte-those are very hefty girls and she isn't. She does have a Columbian pattern, but is a small breed. Sorry, I can tell you what she ISNT, but not what she is.

I'm leaning towards a mixed breed. Her wing and tail carriage suggests japanese bantam in her genes somewhere, maybe mixed with a leghorn. I could be wrong. can you tell me more about her? Egg color? Body size?

6 years is not old for a chicken... Its only old for production hens. I have 9 year olds and they are going strong. as TheBigWRanch said; they can live at least 30 years. Birds live a long time when they are cared for properly and avoid predators.
smile.png

If you look at the Delawares at the site linked above you'll notice they are single-combed. You'll also notice that this hen is rose-combed. also notice her white ear lobes, then notice the Delawares have red ear lobes. Then there's the leg color difference.
You have to look at the whole bird when trying to identify breeds, not just one aspect.
With her comb. lobes, leg color and type I'd say she's a Hamburg cross.

Back
Top Bottom