White Jersey Giants

AllenWMiller

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Rural PA
As a lifetime poultry-man I've always been fascinated by the flexibility and resilience of chickens (Gallus domesticus) generally. They are one of the easiest of all domesticated animals to be manipulated and changed to suit the times and the people who raise them.

Well times have certainly changed and now many of the old standards are in danger of becoming extinct. As a result I've spent the first half of my career raising chickens and now I'll spend the rest of my time attempting to secure heritage breeds from extinction.

To this end one of my pet projects is to restore the White Jersey Giant both to American Poultry Standards of Perfection as well as secure enough genetic material to keep the bloodlines secure.

So I am asking everyone that has Giants here to post and let me know about your stock, where you got it, how long you've had it and if you intend to keep your stock.

Since I know most of you will usually only have Black or Blue Giants I still would like you to post here and let me know about them..

Also if you hatch your Black and Blue Giants let me know if you ever get any "whites" (sport) from your hatches and if your will sell them directly to me.

I know there is a good interest in the Blues today so I would remind all you Blue fanciers and fans out that that Blue is a hybrid resulting directly from a White Giant Hen. A single hen mind you from which all Blues can trace back to. So I hope you can see the importance of my work with Whites.

Thank you for reading and helping with my research and work.

Thank you.

Allen W Miller
HillHaven Farm

Last edited:
Quick! Spot the white JG! LOL

He's filling out, I'm loving watching him grow.

Hello everyone, does anyone know where I can purchase a pair of white Jersey Giant full grown in Puerto Rico

There is Puerto Rico threads on BYC, you might want to ask there. If you don't find any most US hatcherys ship to Puerto Rico, probably only chicks though, and there is only a few that sell white giants. Some hatcherys sell started birds but only in their more popular breeds.

Update on size when they fill out @JRNash.
They look about the same age as my SandHill white giants, hanging out with red sussex and one langshan. All my giants seem to have correct leg color but a couple of them are more of a dirty grey color rather than pure white.

Looks like we both have awhile to wait before we see if they are truly 'giant' in size :)

Silkie giants????You been sharing your beer with the chickens?? You've got to post pictures!!

Haven't done the cross yet, plan to in the spring, white silkie rooster over a white giant hen, just to mix some giant into them. The silkies I have are already very large, rooster is over six pounds. Got them from TSC this spring. Definitely not SOP, they are fibro black skin, five toes, silkie feathering. But their crests are small, way heavier then the standard, grew very fast, laid earlier then any breed of chicken I've ever had, and lay a nice medium egg daily. They will suit my purposes of crossing for a heavier fibro meat bird, and large broodies if I want them to.
I'll post pics, have to get on my phone.

Back
Top Bottom